Thread: Partition layout?

Poster
    I have a 200gb HD which is partitioned to 50/150.

on the 50 I have my program files, documents, music and operating system and on the 150 I have all my post-production raw footage and software.

I've noticed that some people have a small partition specifically for their operating system as it improves performance. Is there any truth to this?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    probably not.

Most people will do it so they can reinstall the operating system without having to worry about deleting all their media files.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    the only way that it is going to improve performance is that you are more inclined to reinstall more often, and therefore have a fresh install of windows.on the otherhand, some people will get a very fast harddrive for cheap because it is quite small and use it as a main drive with a bigger slower drive as a secondary storage drive, which is faster, and still has the advantage of making it easy to reinstall.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play
    probably not.

Most people will do it so they can reinstall the operating system without having to worry about deleting all their media files.
    What he said.

Though to be fair most of my data files are held on external drives. It allows me to take them away with the laptop.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play
    probably not.

That's me.
    8gb partition for windows + office + apps.
    Rest of hard drive for movies, games, music, etc. that I dont want to lose.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    the primary reason for installing an O/S on it's own partition is security.

any repairs, virii or malware can more easily be dealt with when it's been confined to a small area(partition size).

normal maintenance can be performed more efficiently as well.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    the partition i have windows installed is only 9.31 gb. i have two other partitions for college work and music and videos...however i am running out of space for all my music and vids so i will be getting a new hdd purley for them file not windows

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    i only separate my drives so that I can backup my datas from one drive without thinking about the Primary drive where I store Sytem and Program files..
    My ratio is 1:7 (10Gb,70Gb) but still I feel no difference as using it without partition.