Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car audio help plz !!!!!!!

Gto286's Avatar Lefty
    your ohm's and watts and impendance must be matched to your amp(s)
    thus the same with your eq. to amp. stereo to eg.
    also have you looked at the quality of your wires ?
    dont go skimpy on that either. use heavy duty guage wires for that aswell.
    a good set of 12guage works good.
    me personally dont use the standard stereo wires you see ya know those clear see through stuff. I use good quality 12 guage wire that's color coded
    black/green/gray/purple. etc and he like. running between the stereo to eg. eg to amp, amp to the speakers.
    my speakers are 4ohm for the front. 8ohm for the woffers and sub woofer.
    all matched accordingly. 40hm 35watt front. 6 1/2 two ways.
    mid's are 6x9's 50watt. the wofers are 100 watt 10''. the sub is a 100watt 12"
    it bumps and is nice sounding and loud! can hear me coming dont the street.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Josh's Avatar QX9650 @ 4.02Ghz
    I have replaced rear speakers they work but just like others really i think headunit will need changing before they sound decent but im unsure if + or - are correctly as the cable colours are nto red and black its cofusing does it matter with 3 way speakers

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstyle_rave
    I have replaced rear speakers they work but just like others really i think headunit will need changing before they sound decent but im unsure if + or - are correctly as the cable colours are nto red and black its cofusing does it matter with 3 way speakers
    The wire will have some sort of indicator on it such as a stripe, different colored wire, or a ridge on the side of one wire, to help you know which wire is which so you get the positive and negative on right.
    Everytime I've hooked up speakers it hasn't mattered which way I do it though.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Well my right back speaker cable is light blue/yellow and blue/red and on the left side its green/yellow and black/orange

So i used black stripe cable on my left side as the - and on the right side the red striped cable as the + and it seems to work

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    which is better for 10cm 30rms speakers 2-way or 3-way i got 3-way in the back now with the new head unit with 4x27W RMS (4x52W MAX) i got 3-ways in but dont sound too good would 2-way sound betta at all

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    If i recall the 2 way and 3 way just refers to the amounts of cones used in the speakers. 2 way have a tweeter and a woofer while 3 way have an extra horn like part for better treble. Cant really see how your gonna notice any massive sound difference between speakers when you have a rather noisy engine vibrating your car and all the outside noise.

It all depends what sort of music you listen to really as well.

if you like classical you will want an expensive setup, if your cruising around listening to drum and bass you just want some crap speakers in your car and a large sub in the boot.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    just to add my 2 cents. underpowering a speaker will damage it at high volumes. The more power you add to a speaker, the better. You can power a set of crappy stock speakers with a fosgate 1400w and they will sound great at a reasonable volume. Head units with no real power are best matched to low powered speakers, that way you get the best sound for the power you have. That why stock setups sound reasonably good, untill you change the head unit. Just dont try cranking the volume unless you have lots of power (usually an amp). I am very rusty on all my information on this subject, but I used to design and build subwoofer cabinets (about 5 years ago ) and I have one hell of a system in my truck -fosgate/polk audio/alpine (that I dont even turn the volume up on anymore )

Oh, and you can get a semi-surround sound if you get 2 more tweeters and wire them out of phase with the two you already have and mount them on the A-pillars of the car. It sounds nice.
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 04-11-2006 at 09:08 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Well another question lol sorry but i just wanna make everything ok

Head unit is now 4x27W RMS (4x52W MAX)

my front set up is 2x tweeters 10W RMS (40W Max) and 2x Woofer speakers 10W RMS (40W Max) i wish to change the woofer door speakers now if i get 35W RMS woofer speakers will that be ok or should i get 30W RMS to match head unit this is where i get confused. The tweeters and woofer speakers come together it says they are 35W RMS (170W MAX) will these be ok to use with a head unit like mine

basically will 35W RMS speakers be ok with 27W RMS input from the headunit
    Last edited by Josh; 04-11-2006 at 09:51 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstyle_rave
    Well another question lol sorry but i just wanna make everything ok

Head unit is now 4x27W RMS (4x52W MAX)

my front set up is 2x tweeters 10W RMS (40W Max) and 2x Woofer speakers 10W RMS (40W Max) i wish to change the woofer door speakers now if i get 35W RMS woofer speakers will that be ok or should i get 30W RMS to match head unit this is where i get confused. The tweeters and woofer speakers come together it says they are 35W RMS (170W MAX) will these be ok to use with a head unit like mine

basically will 35W RMS speakers be ok with 27W RMS input from the headunit
    yes, youll be fine. Just dont get nuts turning the volume up to rediculous levels. When the music starts distorting (sounds like its overdriven), thats your cue to turn it down, because you are blasting the speakers with noise. More power is a cleaner, stronger signal. Also, low end will trash speakers if they cant handle the excursion (amount of movement the woofer can handle). If you hear any "pops" or "crunch" when you set your bass levels, thats the woofer cone moving too far. And again, more power prevents this to a certain degree, but to answer your question simply....yes, you will be fine. Sorry about the blabbering
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 04-11-2006 at 11:27 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    cool cool thanks for help its just so confusing sometimes my new head unit said it does 4Ohm to 8Ohm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12