Thread: 6800GT on two monitors?

Poster
    I'm a video editor and I'd like to start making use of a dual monitor setup. I have a Gainward 6800GT, how would I go about outputting it to two monitors, and do I need a specific type of monitor?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Well, I have a eVGA 6800GT but the Nvidia driver for all 6800 will show additional options when it detects a 2nd monitor (or TV) plugged in upon opening the monitor controls. You can then choose:

* "Clone" - same output on both monitors
    or
    * "extend" - the 2nd monitor becomes an extention of the 1st (primary).

Each monitor can have different resolutions but there are some restrictions. BTW, any monitor will work. I have a 19" CRT and a 17" WS LCD. You can also toggle between which monitor becomes primary/secondary.

BTW, for video overlay, it seems only the designated primary monitor will display video within a player but not both when in clone mode. However, this is not the case if the TV out is the 2nd monitor.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp
    I'm a video editor and I'd like to start making use of a dual monitor setup. I have a Gainward 6800GT, how would I go about outputting it to two monitors, and do I need a specific type of monitor?
    I have a 22inch crt and a 16inch monitor on my X800, very nice to have. most any monitor will work, just that you might need an adaptor to hook up a vga monitor to the dvi port. you should be able to set resolution independantly on each screen to adjust for size difference. if your monitor has two video out ports, which all 6800's should have, then, all you should need is a second monitor and possably a $10 dvi to vga converter.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Cool, thanks
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    I cant remember if my 6800 came with 2 DVI adapters or just one, though
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production