Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is my TV HDTV ready?

Poster
    I was always under the impression that HDTV was a standard of harware, like LCD or Plasma now that I've realized it's a broadcast signal, I'm wondering if all TV's will be able to display it? from an old CRT to a modern Flatron?

about four years ago my parents got a very large screen LG Digital Flatron Rear Projection TV is there any way of know if this will be able to utilize HDTV properly?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    A Digital TV receiver may be capable of handling the HDTV signal, new ones should, older ones may not.

Even if your DTV receiver can handle the signal, unless your hardware is capable of displaying the extra information (and with 4 yr old rear projection that's unlikely) you won't see any improvement.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Is the difference very, very noticeable though?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Yes it's very noticeable.

What model is their LG?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Not sure, will check...Not such a bother now seeing as South Africa is only expected to be fully HDTV by 2010 But in terms of running consoles, would Xbox360 look a ton better on an HDTV TV? What can the quality of broadcast television be compared to?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp
    Not sure, will check...Not such a bother now seeing as South Africa is only expected to be fully HDTV by 2010 But in terms of running consoles, would Xbox360 look a ton better on an HDTV TV? What can the quality of broadcast television be compared to?
    Yes, you shouldn't buy a xbox360 if you don't own a hdtv already.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    That much of a difference?

I run my PS2 and Xbox360 through an older CRT and it really looks playable...Thaaaat much of a difference?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    a tv is a tv. get a hdtv if u have the money. if not, don't worry.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    HDTV is a world of difference, mix that with digital audio (optical if possible) and your in for a hell of a ride.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp
    That much of a difference?

I run my PS2 and Xbox360 through an older CRT and it really looks playable...Thaaaat much of a difference?
    Hell yes. I remember playing a simple game of Condemned on my friend's LCD HDTV and was stunning.

You see more of difference in a bigger screen than a smaller one. I've had an HDTV since the end of '04 and prices are still going down. I paid $2200 for a 65" Mitsubishi. On Black Friday I've seen a 55" for $800 although that was an Akai. I only knew them as a company that made mini home stereos before.

With an HDTV and, as azad said, digital audio, you basically have a movie theater at home. Watching simple TV shows and sporting events are now 10 times better.

I previously never wanted a TV in my livingroom but if I can get a flat screen for a decent price I'd put one in there. I could put a recording of Sunrise Earth off Discovery Channel on there and it'd be like a moving painting.

Also check your connections on the back of the TV and see if you have a HDMI or DVI connection. I hooked my STB up using the HDMI connection and it made my HD picture look better. Otherwise you should have component connections back there if it's an HDTV (I think Y Pb Pr). HDMI carries audio and video. DVI is video only.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast