Thread: What Are Your Settings For utorrent?

Elvenmunky's Avatar Day Sleeper

Question Mark

I have a 1mb connection with dload 985.5 Kbps (about 118) and upload 120.8 K bytes/sec (about 30). I was wondering what a good setting for utorrent will be, as my speeds have been super super slow recently. (try to include port,network and tracker settings plz). i have tried almost everything and just cant get it right

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    The port won't really matter, provided it's not the BitTorrent default port. Enable the 'randomise port each time uTorrent' starts check box in the network settings.

I've left the number of connections at the default 750 and left the max peers per torrent at 100 in the torrent preferences.

A good idea would be to go back into network settings and enable protocol encryption; change the dropdown menu at the bottom for 'outgoing' to 'enabled' and check the box which says 'allow incoming legacy connections'.

If your ISP is operating a packet shaping policy, the above notes about encryption could solve your slow speed problem.

Here is a screenshot of my network settings - I get great speeds with this:

I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› BT Rep: +1
    I'm not sure if you'd want to switch clients, but Azureus has a page on their wiki that tells you how to determine the best settings for you. Here is the page:

http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/Good_settings

Even if you don't want to switch clients, I would assume that these settings would work for uTorrent also.
    Last edited by Nickthestick91; 04-14-2006 at 03:49 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Thanx u guys! however it is my ISP who is doing the damage they clearly are affecting my p2p bandwidth, they must have some sort of anti-p2p policy and won't admit it (boo!)

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvenmunky
    Thanx u guys! however it is my ISP who is doing the damage they clearly are affecting my p2p bandwidth, they must have some sort of anti-p2p policy and won't admit it (boo!)
    enable encryption and change the port (i use 1200)

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvenmunky
    My ISP does the same thing, switching over to port 1720 sure has helped a lot though. I also have encryption in utorrent enabled and the rest of my settings I haven't really touched much...

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    You guys are stars! Im getting great speeds now

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    hey, elvenmunky would you mind telling me how much beter your speeds are now? and what your getin at the moment, i am also on 1mb broadband, the max i hav got from it is 110kBs d/l and bout 12kBs d/l, just wondering what you are geting after the changes

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Well on uTorrent my speeds go to the max when there are loads of seeds and peers which is about 118kBs dload and 30kBs upload, whereas before they only used to go up to about 30kBs dload. My speeds on softwares like Limewire, Shareza etc... are still very low, this is due to my ISP (Damn you UK Online!)