Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows error during boot up

maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    This started happening last week. There was a black screen just before the booting window is suppose to come up, and it said that:

C:>Windows/system32/config/system

is missing. it said to use the recovery console to fix it. SO I did, I went into recovery, and did: chkdsk /p.

It worked, but it started happening every other day. THen about last Friday, it stoppped. Until now, and now I cant get it away using the chkdsk /p.

someone help, please :||:|:||:|:|:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    chkdsk /p just checks the drive's health.
    chkdsk /r actually repairs it, no?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I have no idea

I found this:

" This has already been discussed in this thread, but apparently this is a very popular problem. You can see some other discussions on this here.

I've researched this problem for several days now, and it seems that there is no real solution. There are several work arounds, but they only delay the problem until next time. As near as I can tell there are a wide range of hardware "issue's" that can cause this. These same hardware configurations will normally work fine under earlier versions of windows (unless there's a faulty component).

Unfortunatly, i'll have to revert to 2k or even 98SE, since after so many days of playing with this problem and (judging by the feedback i've gottten on the web) there is not much hope for a permanent fix. I am just sick of fooling around with this. I'll try installing XP off the cd on another machine, maybe it'll work there."

here: http://www.devhood.com/messages/mess...hread_id=67703

I think Im gonna cry
    Last edited by maebach; 04-12-2006 at 09:51 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    It may be similar to a problem I came across recently, related to SP2.

If SP2 was added as a service pack and the uninstall files were preserved it should be possible to remove the service pack, then re-install it after you've got the system back up and running.

If SP2 was pre-installed, or if you didn't keep the uninstall folder then this is no good to you.

If you think it may be worth trying let me know and I'll try to find the instructions.

Edit: Here's the link, though it doesn't seems to work properly in Firefox.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...875350#EKACAAA
    Last edited by lynx; 04-12-2006 at 10:43 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ill give it a try

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Select Repair ® option.
    Go to the DOS prompt.
    Now type "chkdsk /r" (space after Chkdsk without " ")and enter leave it to finish. Now restart by typing "exit" and press enter. It should work.

if it doesn't

Type chkdsk /p /r + enter. When check disk is finished, type fixmbr + enter.

If it doesnt - type "chkdsk /p" and enter. If it finishes. type "fixboot X:" (X being the drive letter windows is installed on, it's usually C, but sometimes it can be a virtual drive like E). Next press enter.

Finally type exit to restart. It should work.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    UNinstalling sp2 didnt work, one of the steps is to boot in safe mode, and it said the file was missing.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%
    Select Repair ® option.
    Go to the DOS prompt.
    Now type "chkdsk /r" (space after Chkdsk without " ")and enter leave it to finish. Now restart by typing "exit" and press enter. It should work.

if it doesn't

Type chkdsk /p /r + enter. When check disk is finished, type fixmbr + enter.

If it doesnt - type "chkdsk /p" and enter. If it finishes. type "fixboot X:" (X being the drive letter windows is installed on, it's usually C, but sometimes it can be a virtual drive like E). Next press enter.

Finally type exit to restart. It should work.
    triedx it

should I kust reformat? or should I buy a copy of windows? My dad's windows xp is installed on 2 computers, so I dont have one. The disc I use right now, forces my to reformat every like 2-3 months .

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    my friend's computer has this problem of failing to boot after (not finding a)/(finding a corrupted) *.dll file in the windows folder.

i tried doing all those methods with the chkdsk & none of those helped either. i fixed it for him with just doing a repair install of windows. it happens so much now though i just burned him an xp copy and wrote the instructions down.

for a repair install choose to install windows (not recovery console) and then once you accept the agreement you can choose to do a repair install on any installed windows version on your computer.

hopefully it works for a missing \system.
    Last edited by lee551; 04-13-2006 at 01:33 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    There's no option that comes up like that, I tried. Will I have to reformat????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast