Thread: Different File Format question

Sick

I am looking to download and burn TV shows and movies. I have seen DVD rips that are usually a whole bunch or rar files, that unrar into a large .iso file (frequently 4.5 gigs/disk). I have seen others where they are avi files.

For example, "24 season 1" comes in one large (9 gig) file for the entire season. Also I have seen it in 6 files (I think each file is 4+ gigs).

If I want to burn them to a DVD, and watch them on DVD player, with a large screen TV, are both formats the same? Seems to me that the larger a file is, the better quality it would burn and play? Any suggestions as the best way to do this for the best quality?

I am struggling with these questions right now. HELP! Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSteve
    I am looking to download and burn TV shows and movies. I have seen DVD rips that are usually a whole bunch or rar files, that unrar into a large .iso file (frequently 4.5 gigs/disk). I have seen others where they are avi files.

For example, "24 season 1" comes in one large (9 gig) file for the entire season. Also I have seen it in 6 files (I think each file is 4+ gigs).

If I want to burn them to a DVD, and watch them on DVD player, with a large screen TV, are both formats the same? Seems to me that the larger a file is, the better quality it would burn and play? Any suggestions as the best way to do this for the best quality?

I am struggling with these questions right now. HELP! Thanks
    If your dvd player doesn't support divx(mp4) then it won't play the 9gig .avi files, the 4.5gig files are proper dvd format(think that's mp2) and will play on your player.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    What file extensions are you talking about?
    *.avi files will need converting to DVD format unless your player supports divx/xvid/mp4 etc.
    If they're *.rar then open them and check the filetype inside.
    *.nrg are nero images; iso & bin/cue files can be handled by most nurning apps.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Thats not really my question. I am sure I can convert avi files to play in my DVD player, but I think the quality will be less than a larger file (like a larger iso file that is ripped from the actual DVD).

The bottom line question that I am struggling with, is what is the best way or format that I can download (short of renting DVD from the video store) to burn, store and keep on a DVD, that is the same qualtiy as a commercial DVD?

Thanks.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    DVDR is what you want.
    Best format to d/l and burn is dvd9 which is about 7.5gb.(full dvd)
    2nd best is dvd5 at about 4.5gb.(usually compressed or bits ripped)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSteve
    Thats not really my question. I am sure I can convert avi files to play in my DVD player, but I think the quality will be less than a larger file (like a larger iso file that is ripped from the actual DVD).

The bottom line question that I am struggling with, is what is the best way or format that I can download (short of renting DVD from the video store) to burn, store and keep on a DVD, that is the same qualtiy as a commercial DVD?

Thanks.
    yeah, if you want retail dvd quality, you need to only download full 4.5gb dvd-r releases that are ripped straight from the real deal.

if you use newsgroups there is a.b.dvdr or a.b.dvd.image groups which only put up stuff that is retail quality. other than that, i can't think of any specific places to find that stuff only. 0day torrent sites will release dvd rips for movies and i've seen tv season rips there before i guess.

as far as file formats, most dvd-r stuff comes in a cd image of some type i believe.