Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't delete folder

Quote Originally Posted by Vamp
    "deltree is not recognized as an internal or external command, operatable program or batch file."
    Must be a purely dos command, I thought that it was part of the nt kernal. Sorry about that.

Try the same but use rmdir rather than deltree.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    If there are files still in it use the /s switch. i.e. rmdir /s

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    "The system cannot find the path specified"

I think it's just an anomaly...Everything is gone, there's just that "ghost" left over.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Does the folder name have spaces in it. If it does then the command line needs to include """"

i.e. rmdir <"folder name">

The only other thing I can suggest is that you try booting to a command prompt. I think it's f5 as your system is booting, but before windows starts to initialise. Then selecting the appropriate one. Then try deleting it from there.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Sorry if this is blindingly obvious and not meaning to insult you, but you aren't using the <> are you.

The actual command would be something like

rmdir e:\program files\"folder name"

depending on where the folder is actually situated.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Nope :/ not using the <> (Even thought I tried that too >
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    The only other obvious thing I can think of is using a dos boot disk, boot the computer from the floppy and then use the deltree comand from there. Or the rmdir command if the version of dos doesn't have deltree.

http://www.petri.co.il/create_dos_bo...windows_xp.htm tells you how to create a dos boot floppy from XP.

Its a handy thing to have anyway.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    HCT's Avatar WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    try rebooting the computer and then delete the folder

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Have you tried Unlocker (freeware, a google should get it for you) its very useful for stubborn files and folders that get locked by windows. It ends up in your right click context menu and even if it doesn't find a lock on the folder it offers a drop down for you to select a course of action. It hasn't failed me yet and you can't beat free. There also may be a registry entry that corresponds to the folder and that can recreate it after deletion, although this doesn't happen often it can be fixed by a registry cleaning right after deletion.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    search on google for this thing called Unlocker. it shows the programs still currently linked to a file or folder, and u can unlock the link or end the program. it's very very helpful

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12