Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple q's about PAR files and corrupt files

Hey people.

Had a few downloads now and it always seems like there are corrupted RAR sections amoung the many. I just redownload the corrupted ones but I get the feeling that this isnt the right way to go about??

And PAR files are confusing me a bit. I understand they recover lost or damaged files somehow but I'm not quite sure how it all works and whatever. Should I always d/l them if I can? Before I left them til last and UnRARed the film sections but some were corrupt. Would d/ling the PARS have prevented this somehow?

Cheers people, all been great help so far!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Now ive redownloaded the corrupt files, tried unpacking again and it claims different ones are corrupt! Hence:

! D:\Who Framed Roger Rabbit\Files\RAR\shock-wfrr.r54: Packed data CRC failed in shock-wfrr.img. The volume is corrupt
    ! D:\Who Framed Roger Rabbit\Files\RAR\shock-wfrr.r63: Packed data CRC failed in shock-wfrr.img. The volume is corrupt
    ! D:\Who Framed Roger Rabbit\Files\RAR\shock-wfrr.r64: Packed data CRC failed in shock-wfrr.img. The volume is corrupt
    ! D:\Who Framed Roger Rabbit\Files\RAR\shock-wfrr.r78: Packed data CRC failed in shock-wfrr.img. The volume is corrupt
    ! D:\Who Framed Roger Rabbit\Files\RAR\shock-wfrr.r86: Packed data CRC failed in shock-wfrr.img. The volume is corrupt
    ! CRC failed in shock-wfrr.img. The file is corrupt

Confused lol

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    meig's Avatar Seeder BT Rep: +1
    You need to download SmartPAR. Then you load the main PAR file and it will check for corrupted archives. Then you have the option to repair them

I'm a noob with it too, but if you search google you should be able to find a guide.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by meig
    You need to download SmartPAR. Then you load the main PAR file and it will check for corrupted archives. Then you have the option to repair them

I'm a noob with it too, but if you search google you should be able to find a guide.

Cheers Bud. I have tried looking but nowhere seemed to put it so simply.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Get the small PAR2 file thats around 2kb with each set of rars. Use that to check how many blocks you need with the par app youve installed. Then get how many blocks it showed you needed and run that PAR2 file. Then click repair and it will do its thing. Suggest using QuickPAR for this...

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I just always download the par files as well. NZB files normally download them as a matter of course as well

The I use quickpar (free download) to repair the rar files. http://www.quickpar.org.uk/ download it and read about it there.

Its simply a matter of double clicking on *.par2 file. Its the one which is named slightly different than the rest.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    I download 10% of the post size in par2s as a matter of course.

Even the files that are complete on your server may have errors in them.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Poster
    Best to always download all Par files just incase...

Anyways run the Park2 file using QuickPAR and click Auto Repair and start...
    It will scan all the Rar files for corruption of missing Rar files and then rebuild them using the data contained in the Par files. It will then dump the corrupt Rar into the recycle bin for you and leave you with a fully rebuilt Rar in its place.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by T0TAL-RECALL
    Your news server must REALLY suck if you have to download ALL the par(2) files.

Some people post up to 25%, I don't have the bandwidth spare to suck up that many.

Try a premium server like newshosting or giganews.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by T0TAL-RECALL

Anyways run the Park2 file using QuickPAR and click Auto Repair and start...
    It will scan all the Rar files for corruption of missing Rar files and then rebuild them using the data contained in the Par files. It will then dump the corrupt Rar into the recycle bin for you and leave you with a fully rebuilt Rar in its place.
    I am using a premium... I just download the entire thing including the PAR files just incase because I download so much I cant keep going back to find PARs for stuff thats corrupt.

Plus I dont have a limit on how much I download is unlimited and my ISP is 8Mb unlimited aswell so its no biggy for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast