Thread: Incomplete files, Giganews, and Newsgroups in general!

I am an Adelphia subscriber and just found out about newsgroups. Several questions:

(1) I downloaded a nzb file here, loaded it into Grabit, and Grabit started to download the files. Is there a place to search for these types of files.

(2) The files were a series of about 90 rar files (xyz.rar, xyz.r00, xyz.r01, xyz.r02, etc.) They all seemed to download. The total download size was 4+ gigs. But when I tried to extract them, each file was incomplete. There is a message in the file name that says it is incomplete. Is this something that can be fixed. Is this just what I have heard that everything does not download correctly from newsgroups? Which means I would have to find another source. I did not saee any par file attached with the files, but even if it did, every file that downloaded said it was incomplete.

(3) I tried to call giganews, and found out thet they will NOT talk to you, period! Why do they not have voice support?

I am sure I have a bunch of general questions about newsgroups, and nzb files, where to find them, where to search for them, how to download, reliability of the downloads, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by RealitY; 04-19-2006 at 05:25 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    If your using your ISP most have low completion and retention. In short this means incomplete files and files that are only on the server for a short time. This means your ISP is mostly useless if you want access Usenet files. Make sure you test files that are current and have an article age of less than a week to be sure as you may be trying to grab something beyond your retention. If you find that your service is useless and still want to have Usenet access you will have to get a payserver then. These are great servers and if you use the referral links when signing you support the site here also...

FST GigaNews Refferal Link
    http://www.giganews.com/?a=fst

FST NewsHosting Refferal Link
    http://www.newshosting.com/?a=51500

FST PowerUsenet Refferal Link
    http://www.powerusenet.com/?a=fst

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Adelphia outsources news to Giganews. The terms of the agreement are that Adelphia provides all support for the newsgroups service. You are allowed 5GB/month. There are several possble reasons why the download failed:

Incomplete NZB.
    Files nearing expiration on the news server.
    Individual corrupt articles on the news server.
    Problem with Grabit interacting with firewall or antivirus.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    I sent in a request to giganews about this, but they have failed to respond. Somehow I was able to download 16+ gigs last night.

So is there a search engine to look for nzb files? How do I search what I can download from newsgroups. For example, I want 24, season 2, disk 1,2,3,4,5,and 6. How would I do this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by DrSteve; 04-19-2006 at 10:32 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSteve
    I sent in a request to giganews about this, but they have failed to respond. Somehow I was able to download 16+ gigs last night.

So is there a search engine to look for nzb files? How do I search what I can download from newsgroups. For example, I want 24, season 2, disk 1,2,3,4,5,and 6. How would I do this?

Thanks.
    Try using this search engine.... There you just generate the NZB of the files you find. You have to test abit how you should write to get what you want but it is pretty easy.

http://newzleech.com/

And remember that sometimes you get the PAR's and the files as seperate results (they are always next to each other in the search result) so you grab both into the NZB. As you see you can queue up the files you want before making the NZB.
    Last edited by MultiForce; 04-19-2006 at 11:43 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    hairpin
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSteve

Thanks.
    I use nzbzone.com and NewsLeechers super search function. Between the two, I can find anything.