Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: interested but questions

Poster
    i have heard nothing but good about newsgroups however, first of all it sounds terribly complicated, and i noticed that i need something called News addy which i can't find for my country unless as suggested i pay for one(which i don't want to).
    It also seems that i will only max out my connection if i join a pay newsgroup(which is similar to a private tracker site?)
    Also i was interested are there specific requirements such as a share ratio or a certain gb shared?

thanks for any help

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    You upload nothing it is leecher heaven.
    If you use nzb files it's almost just like bittorrent. You load the file into the client and it downloads the files form the servers at speeds that will max out your connection.

It's also the most secure form of file sharing that I know of. You connect to nothing but the server and that record is wiped every few hours. After that there is no way to track you or what you've downloaded.

The only down part is that it is pay-to-play for the most part.
    But if you can manage about $20 a month your golden

Go for it.
    Last edited by Broken; 04-20-2006 at 07:32 AM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster
    do i have to share anything at all?
    This still doesn't adress the News addy problem, i don't think my country has one.
    I'd really rather not spend anything if possible.
    If some how i do overcome the News addy problem, are there any decent free servers to use?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    You share nothing, with no one, ever. It's a leecher protocol.

Similar to that you need an ISP to get the the internet, you need to have a usenet carrier to get to the newsgroups. If your ISP does not offer this to you, you'll have to pay for it.

See the links at the links at the top of the page for suggested carriers.
    I don't see how it would matter what country you're in, you're paying for a service over the internet.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Basics are all at
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=69159

Seems you most likely dont have access though your company so to access Usenet youll have to get a payserver. For the price NewsHosting is most likely your best bet. You get unlimited service for less than $15 a month and its even cheaper on yearly plans. If you plan on signing up for a server a list of reliable servers that support the site if you signup through the referral links are at...
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=112911
    Last edited by RealitY; 04-20-2006 at 08:56 AM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Poster
    so let me get this straight if my isp does offer me usenet access can i only access files from that specific server or can i access the whole network?

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    all servers in theory should be mirrors of each other and contain the same files. the problem is isp's tend to have terrible completion and retention or dont even cache binary files.

what isp are you with and we can find the addy you need to try it anyway.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Poster
    What does completion and retention mean?

I live in New Zealand isp-slingshot

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    news.slingshot.co.nz is your news addy try it and see what its like

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by nat
    What does completion and retention mean?

I live in New Zealand isp-slingshot

retention is how long a post is kept before it gets deleted to make room for new post. if your service has poor retention then you will have a hard time getting the whole file. pay services general have retention of about 30 days. So if something was put up in the last 30 days you should be able to find it.

completion means what are the odds of you finishing something if it was posted within the retention period.
    Last edited by Broken; 04-20-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast