View Poll Results: Scientology - What do you think?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Harmless Fun

2 7.14%
  • Dangerous Cult

19 67.86%
  • God's honest truth

1 3.57%
  • Just a trendy fad that will soon pass

4 14.29%
  • Don't know

2 7.14%
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scientology - harmless fun or dangerous cult

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Well, scientology is in the news at the moment, with poor little Katie Holmes duped into giving birth silently, with silent midwives and silent nursing staff to hand, (however I do believe she desperately gestured to be given an epidural ), so big TC has reported back to his scientology church with the details of the birth, so they can determine how much "auditing" is needed for the mother and baby following the trauma.

I think this is really scary stuff. These people are nutters. It's especially scary that with all these celebrities endorsing this nonsense that more and more impressionable teenagers and that will think this sort of thing is OK.

Also, here's a funny article.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/sc.../scien410.html

For balance, here is the official website.

http://www.scientology.org/

I just wondered what everyone thinks about all this.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Harmless and fun fun fun.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    CortexRock's Avatar Member
    Must be something to do with the air in Hollywood that turns normal, sensible human beings' brains into playdoh.

I actually read one of L Ron Hubbard's books a few years back (before I knew anything about Scientology) and it seemed like a fairly standard sci-fi/fantasy work.

And Battlefield Earth is one of the most ridiculous films ever made!

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    The fact it's foremost practitioner is Thomas Cruise Mapother the IV tells you all you need to know.

L. Ron Hubbard's own personal idiot.

BTW-did you know Kwanzaa dates all the way back to the ancient 1960s?

No wonder U.S. culture has such a bad/dumb reputation.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Scientology holds as much legitimate credibility as any other religion.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Legitimate credibility?

As opposed to what other kind?

In any case, "legitimacy" and "goofiness" are not mutually exclusive qualities; witness Pat Robertson...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Dangerous cult, absolutely agree. You only have to read the accounts of those who have managed to be de-programed from the brainwashing. Or to examine their financial interests to see that it is a money making venture, exploiting those who it manages to "recruit".

To call it a religion is nonsense, unless for tax purposes and then you can see the point.Lafayette Ron Hubbard, who made the whole thing up, was a liar and a fraud.

Pseudo Science is great

I quite enjoyed his SciFi books though.
    Last edited by What'spunk.; 04-20-2006 at 09:12 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Legitimate credibility?

In any case, "legitimacy" and "goofiness" are not mutually exclusive qualities; witness Pat Robertson...
    Hocus-pocus is Hocus-pocus whatever guise it takes or however many believe in it.

I haven't voted because there is no suitable option for me. I would say harmless fun, but any religion can be used in the mind of a nutcase to justify dangerous actions
    Last edited by vidcc; 04-21-2006 at 04:03 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

Legitimate credibility?

Hocus-pocus is Hocus-pocus whatever guise it takes or however many believe in it.

I haven't voted because there is no suitable option for me. I would say harmless fun, but any religion can be used in the mind of a nutcase to justify dangerous actions
    The main difference with Scientology is the pseudo-science it uses on it's victims. Can I suggest you read a bit more about it before you judge it as harmless fun. It's a dangerous organization and shouldn't be taken lightly.

I'll give you one guess who said this ""Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion""

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    They have a "church" in amsterdam, they stand on the main street, lurring in the cliche "open" international youth.
    I entered once for fun, did the psko garantueed exam, they told me i would die by the age of 25 if i did not use them.
    after some arguements i left.
    Their window is often broken.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast