Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waiting for Vista?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Yoga's Avatar \ ( ^ 0 ^ ) / BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Well I got to hand it to you, Microsoft, with more than six years and billions of dollars to hire the finest minds you still ship a half-baked product with nearly all touted features missing in the initial launch. They can't even get the permissions right; administrator rights needed to delete a shortcut but not to install the lastest DRM or rootkit. The saddest part of it all is we will have this forced upon us by Windows dominance.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    when it comes it comes, im fine with what is now, and am not looking forward to all the new tweaks needed to "fix" vista

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    That dude certainly burned Windows Vista..
    But alright.. i've already heard a lot about vista so this evaluation only confirmed tham!
    I wasn't going for vista anw!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Well yes and no...
    I like some of the new features, the new looks, searching built in, etc., but what I really hate is the new confusing control panel (the one in windows 95/98/me/2000 was great), the confusing file structure (even XPs was kind of confusing with the "documents and settings" folders) and the popup confirmation boxes every time you want to change a setting.

I'll still be upgrading to it when it comes out but I can imagine it's going to need a lotttttt of tweaking to get the way I like.

Edit: Just foound this in the article to backup what I said about the popup confirmation things:
    The bad news, then, is that UAP is a sad, sad joke. It's the most annoying feature that Microsoft has ever added to any software product, and yes, that includes that ridiculous Clippy character from older Office versions. The problem with UAP is that it throws up an unbelievable number of warning dialogs for even the simplest of tasks. That these dialogs pop up repeatedly for the same action would be comical if it weren't so amazingly frustrating. It would be hilarious if it weren't going to affect hundreds of millions of people in a few short months. It is, in fact, almost criminal in its insidiousness.
    Last edited by tesco; 04-21-2006 at 08:24 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    meh, who really cares what MS promised it would be. It will just be a new OS that looks different and acts mostly like XP. I will upgrade to it if for nothing else, a change of scenery . Plus I get all my OS for free, so I cant complain one way or another.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut

Cool

I kinda look forward to it. If I get a new system, 64bit high-end and all that blah...I'd want it to have Vista. Then again I won't be getting a new system for a while so hopefully they'll review Vista & work out the kinks.

I read the Link his "Which one is the top-most window?"argument was kinda weak. Its obviously the one with the 'X' in red. To me it was obvious, and I thought that was a little picky but they probably coulda added more effects.
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 04-22-2006 at 09:18 PM.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Its magic baby!
    I think it looks pretty nice so far, the aero theme is nice and looks good the new 3d flip feature seems like a bit of a gimmic but it works well and is useful for switching between windows. The beta version is a bit buggy still but it seems almost finished, It uses quite alot of memory and can be cpu expensive at times but i guess they will iron these kinks out before final product release. I like the file structure and don't find it hard to manuever around. The side bar is also quite cool and when finally released i'm sure they will have some pretty cool gadgets to go up on it. Generally a nice fresh change from xp which is helluva ugly and i don't think i could use anymore unless i had changed the theme.
    Wiz.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Well, Vista certainly looks uber-cool, if nothing else.
    Actually, Vista looks uber-cool and nothing else.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I hate the windows security model, If everyone is going to have to know the admin password to remove a shortcut but not to install a program whats the bloody point. Can anyone else see a situation where spyware installs itself on a user account and only the admin can remove it.

I have never understood why games actually need admin (sims 2 springs to mind) privileges to install.

microsoft need to have a similar model to *nix and get users to use user accounts and let admins just escalate their privileges when needed. I know this will break lots of older apps, but its in the bset interest of users and microsoft are all about security, security and security right.

good find clocker.

there is a interview with one of the engineers responsible for security in windows here 190mb though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast