Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: will bubblewrap protect my PC

  1. #1
    brenda's Avatar Reborn again BT Rep: +3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,509
    This is the senario :

    PCs kept in an unheated room where they might be subject to condensation. So when not in use I have been covering the base, keyboard and screen in bubblewrap to protect them.

    I'd value your opinions, d'ya it's a good idea? could I be doing more?

    By the way moving them to a different location isn't an option.
    This fate is worse than death. Condemned to live out existence in a vessel incapable of sustaining my true glory. How am I to function with such limitation? - Illyria

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,497
    I think it's somewhat of a waste of time to cover them. Dampness will take a long time to have an effect on a PC. Especially when it won't be worth much in 5 years.

    If you're really worried the just leave the PC on 24/7 keeping the components warm.

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Yoga's Avatar \ ( ^ 0 ^ ) / BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    In my yellow submarine
    Posts
    426
    It would be easier just to put the components in a plastic container.

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    brenda's Avatar Reborn again BT Rep: +3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    I think it's somewhat of a waste of time to cover them. Dampness will take a long time to have an effect on a PC. Especially when it won't be worth much in 5 years.

    If you're really worried the just leave the PC on 24/7 keeping the components warm.

    wouldn't keeping them on 24/7 frazzle them more quickely/ley?
    This fate is worse than death. Condemned to live out existence in a vessel incapable of sustaining my true glory. How am I to function with such limitation? - Illyria

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,497
    No. I leave my computers on all the time.

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,644
    Coat your parts with vegetable oil.

    Works wonders.

    Trust me.


    Not responsible for broken comp that could possibly cause bodily harm.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Stupit Geek
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Malaysia
    Age
    31
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler
    Coat your parts with vegetable oil.

    Works wonders.

    Trust me.


    Not responsible for broken comp that could possibly cause bodily harm.
    AMD Athlon64 939 (Venice) 3000+
    DFI LAN Party UT nF3 Ultra-D
    Corsair TWINX1024-4400C25PT
    200GB Western Digital/8MB Buffer
    Leadtek GeForce FX 5600

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler
    Trust me.
    Implicitly.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    crazy skiing monkey
    Posts
    1,350
    Quote Originally Posted by brenda
    This is the senario :

    PCs kept in an unheated room where they might be subject to condensation. So when not in use I have been covering the base, keyboard and screen in bubblewrap to protect them.

    I'd value your opinions, d'ya it's a good idea? could I be doing more?

    By the way moving them to a different location isn't an option.
    covering your PC with bubblewrap wont do anything......

    condensation occurs when something in your room is cooler than the surrounding air...... the more humid the air is, the more condensation will occur.

    now since there is no way your PC sitting in your room can be colder than the surrounding air (save one of those freezing units for your PC), condensation wont occur on your PC.
    the only exception to this would be if the air in your room is overly saturated with water (but this will really only occur if you leave all the hot water taps in the house running), but even then wrapping up your pc will only trap the allready moist air in your PC, and not do you any good.

    check this for more info
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    Instead of doing all that typing you could have just trusted Seedler.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •