Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinch Harmonics?

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel

Question Mark

With my Warlock P.H. were pins to do, so simple that you can accidently do em all the time (not a good thing mind you). But now that I have this POS, I don't even know where the pickups are, it's driving me nuts i've tried all along the bridge and whatnot, no success

Any suggestions?

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. Music   -   #2
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I don't think I understand the question. Are you asking where the pickups are?

I'm assuming you're talking a BC Rich Warlock like this one:

Surely you noticed the two double row elipses with 6 magnetic metal circles? So I'm unclear as to what the question is? Unless you bought a used Warlock with EMG-81 pickups, which would look like 2 black rectangles.
    Last edited by Damnatory; 04-23-2006 at 07:39 AM.

3. Music   -   #3
    No, unfortanately I sold the Warlock (got bored with that one, was harder to play on actually, am saving up for an Ibanez MTM1) and I have this POS stratocaster ripoff that I bought for dirt cheap. Anyway, I just can't seem to do the PH on them no matter where I try. And yes I know what you mean by the "6 magnetica metal circles".

Hopefully it'll be easier on the MTM1 (should be) considering it's got EMG 81/85 pickups

edit: basically what I'm asking is, know of any good techniques other than than the "touch thumb slightly on string milliseconds after you pluck it"?

4. Music   -   #4
    I see what your asking but i have no advice. Your technique probably isnt the best since it was so easy to do on the warlock... Just keep at it. I'm sure it'll come Muchh easier to you on the ibanez. btw, what's the brand name of the strat, squir or somthin?

5. Music   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by eMinor7
    I see what your asking but i have no advice. Your technique probably isnt the best since it was so easy to do on the warlock... Just keep at it. I'm sure it'll come Muchh easier to you on the ibanez. btw, what's the brand name of the strat, squir or somthin?
    Yup Squire

6. Music   -   #6
    Squires really are quite nice for knock-offs Fenders.

Ok, you're just looking to figure out an easier way to do artificial harmonics.

My technique:
    Lightly touch the string, pick the string at the exact moment you lift your finger off of it. Letting off the string, rather than leaving your finger on it allows the artificial harmonic to resonate and allows the string to gain vibration.

Try standing close to your amp and letting the feedback and concussive force of the speaker from the amp make the harmonic ring out longer. (Jimi hendrix style )

Yes EMG 81's will definatly make it easier to do them, makes screaming easier too. Though I would suggest buying a cheaper guitar and installing the EMG's yourself... Signature series guitars are a HUGE waste of money. They tack on $1,000 just because a big star uses that exact model.

Do you have a Musicians Friend near where you live? (Toronto right?) They are a clearance store for damaged instruments, but damage comes in all sorts of ways. I picked up an Ibanez AEF30E last month for $210 for only having a tiny belt buckle scratch on the back. It's hardly even visible, but I got it for less than a thrid of the list price for that tiny scratch. I also got a Les Paul standard ($900 guitar) with a neck snapped in half for $100 and had a new neck installed for another $100 at a repair shop, and got that $900 guitar for $200!

It's definatly worth looking around for something if you have one of these stores near you, hell you might even find your MTM1 there. :p

7. Music   -   #7
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Damnatory

he's trying to do pinch harmonics (not artifical).

cpt - the advice you have is really all i could say. once you've plucked the string with your pick, the side of your thumb should brush the string as your hand moves down from the picking motion. you just have to practice to get the feel of how hard to brush(touch) the string to get the biggest squeal.

PH are sweet. just ripping out a beastly PH is really not too hard but sounds pretty cool.

8. Music   -   #8
    Oh the squeels! I really had no idea they were called pinch harmonics, I've always just called them squeels or screams...

9. Music   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Damnatory

My technique:
    Lightly touch the string, pick the string at the exact moment you lift your finger off of it. Letting off the string, rather than leaving your finger on it allows the artificial harmonic to resonate and allows the string to gain vibration.

Try standing close to your amp and letting the feedback and concussive force of the speaker from the amp make the harmonic ring out longer. (Jimi hendrix style )

Yes EMG 81's will definatly make it easier to do them, makes screaming easier too. Though I would suggest buying a cheaper guitar and installing the EMG's yourself... Signature series guitars are a HUGE waste of money. They tack on $1,000 just because a big star uses that exact model.

Do you have a Musicians Friend near where you live? (Toronto right?) They are a clearance store for damaged instruments, but damage comes in all sorts of ways. I picked up an Ibanez AEF30E last month for $210 for only having a tiny belt buckle scratch on the back. It's hardly even visible, but I got it for less than a thrid of the list price for that tiny scratch. I also got a Les Paul standard ($900 guitar) with a neck snapped in half for $100 and had a new neck installed for another $100 at a repair shop, and got that $900 guitar for $200!

It's definatly worth looking around for something if you have one of these stores near you, hell you might even find your MTM1 there. :p

Ahhhh! Times like this I curse at the fact that I live in french polynesia Vancouver , do you know if they would ship guitars here (assuming they sell online)? I'll google them after I make this post.

And ya, PH=screams and as lee said, that's my technique and it worked great on most of the guitars that I've had over the years, except this Squire . But hey if I find a good guitar at that store you mentioned I'll def. buy it, if they don't ship I'll have to wait 2 months cuz my cousin is coming for a visit from Toronto in summer, I'll just ask him to bring it with him thanks for the heads up

10. Music   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    Ahhhh! Times like this I curse at the fact that I live in french polynesia Vancouver , do you know if they would ship guitars here (assuming they sell online)? I'll google them after I make this post.
    You're in luck, they do sell online, and they do ship. Free shipping on most guitars over $99. I'm not sure if they ship to Canada, but I can't see why they wouldn't.

The only problem with buying them online though is that you don't get to test them out before buying them, considering they are refurbs and damaged instruments, I'd be a little cautious..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/clearance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast