Thread: Having a hard time transfering ISO movie files.

I ripped some movies into my computer using DVD Clone. They are ISO files that I can play using Virtual Clone Drive. The ISO movies are about 4.5GB each.

My problem is regarding transfering these files from one hard drive to the other using IDE.

I have 2 hard drives. One is my main with Windows XP. The other one has no operating system or software installed. It just stores files. They are both connected to my motherboard using the same IDE cable. My main drive has 15GB free/120GB capacity. My backup drive has 125GB free/200GB capacity.

When I attempt to transfer a movie, it gives me an error saying there is not enough space. The movies are ISO files that are about 4.5GB. I do have one that is about 0.2GB. That one transfers fine with no problem. The rest of them that are 4.5GB refuse to transfer even though I have 125GB free space in my backup drive. I tried to transfer them one at a time, but it didn't work.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Is the destination drive NTFS? If not then then that's what it needs to be.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    No. It's FAT32. Why will it not transfer those large ISOs to the FAT32? It transfered the 0.2GB ISO. How do I convert to NTFS without installing any OS?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    FAT32 doesn't support such large files.

Is the OS installed on that partition? Probably not so... Right click on 'My Computer' and select Manage>Disk Management. You will have to delete the partition and remake as NTFS. Backup your data on that partition first!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Max File Size for fat32: 4GB minus 2 Bytes

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    It's not a partition. It's 2 different hard drives. One is the main drive with XP and eveerything. The other one is an empty drive with no OS or software. It just stores files.

But thanks. I'll try doing the disk management to make it work. I had no idea FAT32 hard drives could not store files larger than 4GB.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I don't care if it's 2 different drives. One drive can have one partition on it making one usable space. I see people misunderstand the word partition to mean divided which isn't always the case.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I opened the Computer Manager. I selected the backup drive. I chose Delete Partition in the Action menu. My computer restarted as soon as I clicked it. Everything just shut down with no warning. When it rebooted, I got that error thing asking if I wanted to send a report.

Then I went back into the Computer Manager. I selected my backup drive again. I chose New Partition from the Action Menu. I followed the prompts to format it as NTFS. It is now formatting at 7%.