Thread: Geforce Fx

Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    OK, I was all ready to get a 128MB Geforce4 Ti4200 for about $130 when now all of a sudden I see this new 128MB Geforce FX 5200 for under $100! Now I don't know what to do. Why is it so much cheaper? It supports DirectX 9, so it should be better, right? Did they lower some of the other benchmarks to make it more affordable? Anyone who really knows the facts about this card, please help me.

And don't tell me to get an ATI card...that's not gonna happen. I want a Geforce, it's just a matter of which one.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Geforce 5200, 5600, and ti4200 comparisions

u can go there, and draw some conclusions.

what i take from it... most good ti4200's are going beat the 5200's in most benches, except a few at high levels of anti aliasing.

even the 5600 barely nudges out the ti4200...

too bad you dont want a radeon, cuz the 9500, and 9600 shipping soon, are better then all of them, and can be had for around the same price.

this comming from a die hard nvidia supporter...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@26 April 2003 - 01:48
    Geforce 5200, 5600, and ti4200 comparisions

u can go there, and draw some conclusions.

what i take from it... most good ti4200's are going beat the 5200's in most benches, except a few at high levels of anti aliasing.

even the 5600 barely nudges out the ti4200...
    Thanks for the article, Schmiggy. You're right, it does sound like the Ti4200 is still better. But the 5200 is better on my wallet.
    Such a tough decision...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    TRshady
    I had a feeling the fx wouldn't be as good as first rumored. I really dont think you can get better then a ti4800 at the moment.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    ya... you can...

the radeon 9700, and 9800 are both better.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I own a Geforce and a Radeon. I seriosly reccomend a Radeon. There better. Really. They are.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    the only reason that anyone wouldn't want an ati card is the supposedly poor game support and driver versatility
    most of these problems have been sorted though, and imo, the ati cars are much better value for money than nvidia cards.
    that's when i'm getting a 9700 when i get enough money
    gonna be hard to get the money though, i'm a poor student
    unless there's any donations...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Well the question turned out to be moot. I noticed the requirements for the Geforce FX said AGP revision 2. After 2 emails and a live chat with a Gateway Tech, I found out my AGP slot is only revision 1. He informed me that it would be very difficult, if not impossible to find a card that'll work in it. So basically my only option is to use a PCI slot instead, and the best card I could find for that is a 64MB Geforce4 MX440. I know it sucks, but at least it should be better than my TNT2.

(Believe it or not, this same thing happened to me with my last computer - only then it was a PCI 1.0 slot. )

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    the TI series will own the fx5200 cards. there is a reason they are cheaper.
    but dont talk down on all the fx cards. the fx ultras are the cards that kick ass.
    the 5200 runs a little better than an mx440.