Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Plugs IE Add-Ons With New Site

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    [news=http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2357/ie4xg.gif]Microsoft on Tuesday launched a site to promote Internet Explorer add-ons in an attempt to compete with Mozilla Corp.'s long-running site that specializes in extensions for the open-source Firefox browser.

The Add-Ons for Internet Explorer page hosts both free and for-a-fee add-ons to IE 6 and IE 7 Beta 2, and is organized in security, time saving, browsing, and entertainment categories. A search tool can be used to sift through the add-ons.

"We want to make it easier for users to find valuable add-ons, and to promote our partners who develop add-ons," said Tina Duff, an IE program managers, on the team's blog.

IE 7 Beta 2 users can access the site from the browser's Tools menu (Tools/Manage Add-Ons/Find More Add-ons).

Until Tuesday, IE add-ons, which include toolbars, download managers, pop-up blockers, and multimedia plug-ins, were spread throughout Microsoft's massive site, or if not there, on publishers' own Web sites.

Source: http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=186701315
    Homepage: http://www.ieaddons.com/default.aspx?cid=home&scid=0[/news]

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Until Tuesday, IE add-ons, which include toolbars, download managers, pop-up blockers, and multimedia plug-ins, were spread throughout Microsoft's massive site, or if not there, on publishers' own Web sites.
    Not true.

M$ had an add-on website awhile ago. Most of the add-ons either sucked or cost money, however.

This is not news.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    News to me , I did n't know that IE had add ons thought it was worth a post . Gets pretty boring posting all the wonders of Firefox .

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    News to me , I did n't know that IE had add ons thought it was worth a post . Gets pretty boring posting all the wonders of Firefox .
    Yeah M$ has had it for awhile. Much of it is third party "pay for me" shit. I imagine that'll change though.

FF has great features but I just a stable browser that doesn't crash.

I was using Opera but I upgraded one time and it started fucking up so I chucked it.

I just want the browser to pull-up my web pages without endless tweaking. I tried IE7 (beta 2) but it too started getting slow so I chucked that too. (it worked for awhile)

Now I'm back on IE6 with Webtabs. I have a browser that doesn't crash with tabs. I'm just hoping M$ doesn't screw up the final IE7.

I have a separate computer that I use for my music that I don't dare connect to the net. There's just too much shit out there that'll slow your computer down and whatnot so I keep it a closed system.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    It's just a pity IE isn't an add-on itself. Then I could have fuck all to do with it right from the start.

“It’s not the will to win that counts - it is the will to prepare”

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    To be honest Ive never really used IE a lot , a friend set up my first computer era win 95 and installed Netscape .He told me to use both then decide but to be careful about setting a default browser .

I saw what he meant and never liked the MS experience of crushing the competition, that was about the time of Netscape's demise . I'll try IE 7 when its complete . I dumped Opera too, Busyman for reasons I can't remember now .

@ Fromagepas , What I meant but takes me two paragraphs to spell out .
    Last edited by peat moss; 04-29-2006 at 03:20 PM.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    To be honest Ive never really used IE a lot , a friend set up my first computer era win 95 and installed Netscape .He told me to use both then decide but to be careful about setting a default browser .

I saw what he meant and never liked the MS experience of crushing the competition, that was about the time of Netscape's demise . I'll try IE 7 when its complete . I dumped Opera too, Busyman for reasons I can't remember now .

@ Fromagepas , What I meant but takes me two paragraphs to spell out .
    I don't understand what that means, "I saw what he meant and never liked the MS experience of crushing the competition".

The first I heard I of M$ harming me the consumer was a Justice Department probe.

Netscape was the first browser of note and had basically all the marketshare. M$ comes in and now the browser is free.

Was I, the consumer, supposed to get pissed 'cause now the browser is free?

The fact is that Netscape was pissed, not the consumer.

If M$ Office ends up being free with Windows, is M$ kicking me in the ass? Fuck no.

Even the EU made M$ unbundle WMP with Windows buy putting out an N version. Big fucking difference.

I heard it's selling lot cakes.

You hear of people not using M$ products 'cause of hating and fanboyism. Fuck that.

Use what's best at the time whther it be a game console, mp3 player, whateverthefuck and fuck the bullshit.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    I did n't care for an O/S locking me in with it's default browser , at the time I didn't know how to change it back .

Hey I'm all for choice , makes the world go round .

And ya if thats EI 7 , FF or even Opera kool ! I'll just use the best one for "Me"
    Last edited by peat moss; 04-30-2006 at 12:26 AM.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™
    I don't understand what that means, "I saw what he meant and never liked the MS experience of crushing the competition".

The first I heard I of M$ harming me the consumer was a Justice Department probe.

Netscape was the first browser of note and had basically all the marketshare. M$ comes in and now the browser is free.

you do realise there are laws against using your dominat market postion to kill all the competition. microsoft got to the point where you either use there software or you could not really communicate with other people.

want to share word processed documents with people you have to use office otherwise people will have no idea what to do with a rtf file.

want to design a website, it has to render properly in internet explorer screw the w3 standards and all the other niche browsers.

the doj and eu did us a favour and punished them for completly monopolising these markets recently and look what has sprung up. We have firefox and opera gaining market share. Office is going to open up their file formats so other word processors can render these documents properly.

sooner or later microsoft are gonna have to start droping prices to stay competitive and the consumers wins.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™

you do realise there are laws against using your dominat market postion to kill all the competition. microsoft got to the point where you either use there software or you could not really communicate with other people.

want to share word processed documents with people you have to use office otherwise people will have no idea what to do with a rtf file.

want to design a website, it has to render properly in internet explorer screw the w3 standards and all the other niche browsers.

the doj and eu did us a favour and punished them for completly monopolising these markets recently and look what has sprung up. We have firefox and opera gaining market share. Office is going to open up their file formats so other word processors can render these documents properly.

sooner or later microsoft are gonna have to start droping prices to stay competitive and the consumers wins.
    I'm sorry. How were YOU harmed?

M$ tried to make their formats standard. No surprise.

You brought up Office. Why can't you use WordPerfect? It came with the computer I'm typing on and it worked fine (I have deleted it since, however).

The EU did you a favor by fining M$ and making them remove WMP. The consumer has been rewarded.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast