Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: suggestions on new setup?

can I curse? FUCK!

I'm getting this in a month and a half if I'm actually able to keep my job.

I'm giving the 19" to my brother and I'm using the 19" widescreen. while his 17" is my second monitor for IMing and such.

I might buy 2 1GB sticks of RAM to relieve some of the work that the comp does for managing four sticks of 512s which means I will probably have 2 sticks of 512s for sale. (PC3200 Geil value)

The video card is going to fucking own every game out there for now, it can probably handle (Elder scrolls IV) Oblivion with all settings on the highest and res on 1280x1024.

The processor is definitely a step-up. The opteron is for server boxes only but from the reviews, its pretty awesome considering theres a 1MB lvl 2 cache and its much cheaper than the toledo core thats about $400+.

The case is def. recommended by one of my friends since she has one and says there's loads of room to work around with but lots of wires and shit.

If anyone of you have any better alternatives that are cheaper than what I have there, you're welcome to suggest!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I absolutely detest Thermaltake cases and would use almost anything else if possible.
    Why the dual-core chip?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    can I curse? FUCK!
    I like to encode movies and such and don't want to wait there for hours to finish cause I want to be able to game also.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    A winning answer...go for it.
    Your thoughts on 2x1GB are spot on as well.
    Presumably you have a healthy PSU and are not counting on some no-name POS to handle the chore of powering this nice collection of parts.

Just make the sign of the cross and banish the TT case from your wish list and all will be well.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    What's wrong with thermaltake cases?
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Lol yeah, what's wrong with thermal take cases? (I have a TT PSU as well)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    First of all, I'm not dissing the aesthetics....even though I think Stevie Wonder could design a better looking case.
    Whatever floats your boat and all.

Specifically, I think that TT cases are poorly engineered and built.
    They like to brag about the extensive use of aluminum (which I think is overhyped as a case material anyways) but they fail to account/design for the material's characteristics. Every TT case I've seen is flimsy feeling and prone to racking and poor placement and choice of rivets (rivets used with aluminum should have heads significantly larger than the steel equivilents) results in joints that loosen quickly.
    TT slathers their cases with useless plastic geegaws that masquerade as "features", most of which I find useless and irritating. To be fair, I dislike every inplementation of the "tooless design" philosophy that I've ever used and much prefer old school screws to hold things in place.

TT out and out lies about the mechanical aspects of their fans and their watercooling stuff is disgraceful and only serves to discourage beginning enthusiasts.

OK, I'm finished.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    can I curse? FUCK!
    LMFAO! then what would you prefer?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Ok.. I got my new setup. Ordered it and everything:

Now.. My mobo doesn't support dual core yet because I have to flash the BIOS so would the mobo only detect as one core until I flash the bios or what?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    What motherboard?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast