Thread: Ftp Problem, People Cant Connect To It

I have just installed buillet proff ftp server and i set it up and for some reason when i try to connect to it to see if it works i wont work. I have got a dns name and i have configered it to go to that but nothing. I have tried the ftp://(then my ip) that don't work. I have a router will that make a difference.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    not to experty on it, but have u created an account?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Yes. Your router should have some effect on it. You have to open up your router config. It should have a tab in there that says "Automatically set IP" and "Manually set IP" you have to make up a unique IP for yourself... Then the FTP program SHOULD work...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    just a retarded n00bish question: if you make an ftp using your own ip, do you need to be online for people to download off of you? (i'm guessing yes)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    just a retarded n00bish question: if you make an ftp using your own ip, do you need to be online for eople to download off of you? (i'm guessing yes)
    Of course you need to be online and an ftp server must be online to share files.

For the first question, DetectionDenied is correct, the router plays a huge role in letting others access. Go to your server config and if you have a linksys router go into the advanced tab and then forwarding...In forwarding you will see a bunch of blank spaces.

Make you router settings look like this for ftp and appy for the setting to take effect. Now, you have forwarded you real ip to the linksys ip or 192.168.1.1.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by mobboss01@27 April 2003 - 04:34
    just a retarded n00bish question: if you make an ftp using your own ip, do you need to be online for eople to download off of you? (i'm guessing yes)
    Of course you need to be online and an ftp server must be online to share files.
    i told you it was a n00bish question!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Ok so forward the port. Any other ways?