Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using bit torrents at university

Disclaimer: This is purely a hypothetical situation. The information given here by myself and others is for information purposes only. No attempt will be made to carry out any of the actions.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to use my bt client at university but they have certain blocks on things like peer to peer. Does anybody know of any good clients to use at places like this and/or any methods i could use to bypass it.

Thanks
    Cu.
    Last edited by Cubos; 04-23-2006 at 10:52 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    I'm not positive about this but you may be able to get by it using encryption. Some clients that have it are the newest versions of Azureus and uTorrent. They encrypt the incoming and outgoing traffic so it is not possible to tell that it is coming from BitTorrent.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    yep utorrent works at my uni

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    do you have to enable a certain setting on utorrent or does it do it automatically?

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Draugr's Avatar Poster
    I have not tried this at my university, but in utorrent, try going to Options -> Preferences -> Network and setting outgoing under protocol encryption to enabled or forced.

Let us know if this works.
    Last edited by Draugr; 04-24-2006 at 02:58 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    This page tells you all about it and how to do it.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    I've configured all the settings and it's still not working effectively.

Some torrents wont even start and i get Tracker Status: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

on the one occasion it did work i got a mere 2 connected peers out of 33 and the download speed was something like 0.006kb/s.

if anyone can help me out that would be great.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    j0hn's Avatar leet poster BT Rep: +1
    i dont think encryption will make any difference from a uni. they're not likely to be detecting what packets are being sent.
    it will be alot more simple, like the ports.
    you'll be able to download only on a few certain ports they have open.
    i have no idea what they're likely to be though.
    the obvious http ports will be open, and smtp ports.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Draugr's Avatar Poster
    Well, going with what j0hn is saying, try setting your TCP/UDP port to 80.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    i facing the similar suition. I now use freedom a socks tunnel application that bypasses uni firewalls, but i wont get speed greater than 8 KB, as you have to register for freedom pro. Freedom trial version has limited 8KB ul/dl speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast