Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual-Core CPU's & Games Compatibility?

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    not sure if this would go into games, software or hardware.

when using a dual core cpu and a game that does not use the dual core what happens? does the game just use one of the cores and plays normal? use one of the cores and plays not so normal? both cores and plays terrible? every once and a while patches cum out in either drivers or game patches that make use of the dual core. so, then we now know that the game should indeed make use of dual core cpus. i believe only 2 games make use of dual cores atm. probably wrong, but anyway, quake 4 and fear are the two i know of. any feedback on these issues?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Even if a game engine is heavily optimised to be multi-threaded it is unlikely to make much advantage of the dual core chip. The simple reason for this is that the graphics processing takes up most of the available time, and since the GPU handles this a fast single core chip can normally handle the other functions.

Assuming the game engine doesn't perform any multi-threading, it will behave almost as if you've got a single core chip running at the same speed. So if a 4400x2 runs at the same speed as a 3800+ it will appear as if you've got a 3800+. Some annoying glitches may go away as these can be handled by the other core, so it may be marginally faster.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Dual core games are not really here just yet, it's the single core raw speed that counts.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    can I curse? FUCK!
    But AMD is researching Anti-hyperthreading! makes it seem like the dual cores are one core which is good for single core apps and games.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    One of the many reasons I don't want to upgrade now I think the best thing for people that want to upgrade now (or in the near future) is to wait until DX10 comes out (and no, not the glitchy first version) and good DX10 cards (priced down, so not right after they come out, buy it after more models are avail. so you can compare and stuff). By then, I'm pretty sure dual core gaming will be the norm and who knows....triple core?? Hmmm...

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    triple core?? Hmmm...
    amd is supposed to release a quad core cum '07.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    One of the many reasons I don't want to upgrade now I think the best thing for people that want to upgrade now (or in the near future) is to wait until DX10 comes out (and no, not the glitchy first version) and good DX10 cards (priced down, so not right after they come out, buy it after more models are avail. so you can compare and stuff). By then, I'm pretty sure dual core gaming will be the norm and who knows....triple core?? Hmmm...
    I want to upgrade my 6600gt which btw is noisy as hell but damn its hard waiting probably over a year when dx10 comes out and the vid cards are better priced, although I don't have a lot of money right now so I guess I'll have to wait anyways.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    It's a no win situation. I'd say look into a 7600GT since its a reasonable upgrade and wont cost you an arm and a leg. It should tide u over until DX10 becomes useful.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails
    triple core?? Hmmm...
    amd is supposed to release a quad core cum '07.
    Holy shit...source?

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Boogieman117's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsu
    It's a no win situation.
    That sounds like any computer upgrade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast