Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Window Washer

Ah, you just watch the pumps more closely when you're in the South - just so they'll know you're on to them.

2. File Sharing   -   #42
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@2 May 2003 - 15:09
    Ah, you just watch the pumps more closely when you're in the South - just so they'll know you're on to them.
    Just so.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. File Sharing   -   #43
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    TIDE...

Well, upon retesting at pitstop I did pick up 20 some points (almost broke a grand!), but, upon closer inspection of the scores, it turns out I gained them all in internet performance. I had gone through the excruciatingly long "BrowserTune" and it seems to have helped (my browser) alot.
    The jury remains out on your "forced kernel" trick and I'm probably not the best test subject. Perhaps someone who actually uses their machine to do actual work will try this out and report back.
    Til then I shall simply assume that you have helped me to make a giant leap in performance and leave it at that.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

p.s. did you break par this a.m.?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. File Sharing   -   #44
    Mr. Par and I are only acquainted a few times per round... I've been following and devising ways to stay out of the swap file since Gates invented it (big, big insider joke - Gates never invented a damn thing in his life). It helped in WIN 3.1 and forward to 98SE, but one always ran into the damn resource bottleneck. NT really solved that, and, now, XP has brought it to the masses.

5. File Sharing   -   #45
    Like, DUDE, whoa!

You've been in the trenches since Windows 3.1?
    That makes you like, a pioneer!

You must remember when computers had hand cranks!

6. File Sharing   -   #46
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker@2 May 2003 - 19:54
    Like, DUDE, whoa!

You've been in the trenches since Windows 3.1?
    That makes you like, a pioneer!

You must remember when computers had hand cranks!
    Perhaps I should introduce TIDE to my Father!
    Trade tales from back when computors could fold and mutilate IBM cards.

JUST KIDDING-I'M sure my Dad has a few years on you, TIDE.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. File Sharing   -   #47
    Originally posted by j2k4@2 May 2003 - 20:13

Trade tales from back when computors could fold and mutilate IBM cards.

My neighbor across the street worked on ENIAC back in the day.

He was a machinist!
    I look at my POS computer in front of me and don't see a single machined piece.

Times have certainly changed, eh?

btw Tide- what was Charles Babbage really like?

8. File Sharing   -   #48
    Just keep cackling, youngsters. In 1983, I co-founded a company named Digital Engineering. We did computerized data bases for the nuclear power industry. All of our machines ran CPM, not DOS, and we originally had no hard drives - only 5&1/4 floppies. State of the art. I was in charge of peripherals - wired the printer cables, etc. (I mean soldered them up). I also was in charge of building the sets for trade shows. Not quite hand-cranked, but close. Sold the company about ten years later.

9. File Sharing   -   #49
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@2 May 2003 - 21:29
    Just keep cackling, youngsters.  In 1983, I co-founded a company named Digital Engineering.  We did computerized data bases for the nuclear power industry.  All of our machines ran CPM, not DOS, and we originally had no hard drives - only 5&1/4 floppies.  State of the art.  I was in charge of peripherals - wired the printer cables, etc.  (I mean soldered them up).  I also was in charge of building the sets for trade shows.  Not quite hand-cranked, but close.  Sold the company about ten years later.
    Got out just before the hamsters died, eh?

10. File Sharing   -   #50
    Originally posted by TRshady@27 April 2003 - 11:43
    Is this (or do you know of any) which will delete traces of all files permanently delete already?

for example, I deleted a file two weeks ago and emptied bin, is there a program which will delete that trace.
    That's just an example but it would be a great tool though.
    Yeah dude but unfortunatly not some thing that s been deleted already. Get DeepDelete which deletes you files and then rewrites miscallaneous data over it 36 times! using a different overwrite pattern every time cool huh?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast