Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yanks?

Why do people call us "Yanks"?

What is a Yankee?

Sure we had the Confederate and the Yankee's in the Civil War, but that is over, I think.

Anybody know the origin and the nature (derogatory/neutral) of this word?

When someone says "those Yanks", I have to think about it for awhile until I realize he is talking about me (or us).

It sounds so very British, and very amusing to my eardrums.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    After a quick and dirty google search it turns out that the term "yankee" originated in 15th century Holland. It is apparently a corruption of the Dutch word for "english". How it got applied to us I have no idea. I have never actually been called a "Yank" although I do see it upon occasion in posts from those unfortunate enough to live elsewhere. You know who I'm referring to...the Brits, the Germs, the Holls.
    Pay them no mind, Hobbes.
    They are insanely jealous because they do not have a Nebraska.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Lounge   -   #3
    I see from your avatar that your staring at Nebraska right now! Look at me, I waving to you from Lincoln.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    do americans consider "Yank" a deragotary term?
    i've never used it myself, but i've heard it being used
    i never took it as being insulting, i thought it was just a nickname, like "Brits"

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Poster
    or cheeseheads ? I can get away with that cuz..............I. AM. CANADIAN. eh.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    I know what yankee means I'm from holland and along time we where the owners of New York (New-Amsterdam) and allot of Dutch immegrants went to live there and normal Dutch names are Jan (Yan) and Kees (Kees) and if you stick them together you have
    jan-kees (Yankees) and that's olso a Dutch name and I gues it sticked around

7. Lounge   -   #7
    so it's not actually meant as a derogatory term then?
    well, what can i say, free software, free music and free history lessons

8. Lounge   -   #8
    nope it's just about the history of the Dutch in the States

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Originally posted by -Archwolf-@27 April 2003 - 13:56
    I know what yankee means I'm from holland and along time we where the owners of New York (New-Amsterdam) and allot of Dutch immegrants went to live there and normal Dutch names are Jan (Yan) and Kees (Kees) and if you stick them together you have
    jan-kees (Yankees) and that's olso a Dutch name and I gues it sticked around
    Even if you made that up, I'm buying it.

Thanks for the explanation.

If you remember the toppling of Saddams stautue, you will recall that 2 protesting Iraqi men were carrying a large banner that read "Human Shields". Under this they had written, "Yanks(ees?), go home!"

Maybe Iraqis think that it is a derogatory term, or maybe they just overheard some journalists use the word and thought it was conveniently short.

Anyway, that was what triggered my initial post.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Hobbes-

Love the ongoing tale of your avatar and sig.
    How did you escape from the crafty little Asian girl?

*bated breath*
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast