Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Quad Core & DDR3 Memory by 2007!

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    asked about in a diff thread, but seemed like a good topic for a new. middle of last year amd spoke of releasing quad core opterons and support for ddr 3 memory. seems GREAT! lol, but the price? also, i'm sure not for the today gamers (seeing how dual core as of now still hasn't to much support for games) and certainly not for the common user.

Source
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Cartainly interesting, but I've grown quite attached to all my limbs and I feel sure they'll want at least one in order to pay for these chips.

Anyway, I'd like to see what next month brings with the release of the AM2 before I comment on what might be. There were rumours that the AM2 might support DDR3, but it seems that's not going to be the case...
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    I don't understand... you need a quad core cpu to have DDR3? What about DDR2? When is that coming out?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    AMD has made CPU that are really memory efficient. It's mobos has memory controllers that takes full advantage of just DDR ram.

That why you see Intel's DDR2 ram systems not even performing as well as AMD DDR ram systems.

AM2 will not be much of an improvement over the current DDR at all, but AMD's doing it just to show Intel that it has plans to move to DDR2 ram in the future.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Plus, they have used up all of what DDR can provide. DDR2 is newer and has more potential.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    oh man, is clocker gonna have fun with that, if he gets it...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler
    but AMD's doing it just to show Intel that it has plans to move to DDR2 ram in the future.
    -edit-

nvm, I read your post all wrong, and now upon re-reading it....
    it makes no sense at all....

Explain to me why AMD would move to support DDR3, while planning to switch to DDR2....
    Last edited by fkdup74; 04-30-2006 at 04:27 AM.
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    DDR3 offers higher frequencies and lower power consumption. Any CPU maker is not already working on DDR3 may as well give up now, they'll probably be out of business before they manage to get something up and running.

The properties and interface methods required to implement DDR3 are well documented. The physical pinout is unchanged from DDR2 (despite Intel's efforts) so there's still a distinct possibility that AM2 may support DDR3, but if I was AMD I wouldn't be saying anything about that until JEDEC have finalised the specs, just in case it doesn't work.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by suprafreak6
    oh man, is clocker gonna have fun with that, if he gets it...
    Clocker is planning on sitting on s939 for a while and letting all this new stuff shake out and see what happens.
    AM2 with DDR2 is not too much of an improvement but (as Lynx has already pointed out) DDR3 might be the real deal.

BTW, has anyone else noticed the slight (but continuing) rise in DDR prices?
    According to Mushkin, this is due to the chipmakers shift to DDR2 production.
    Soon we'll end up in a situation similar to SD ram...slower and more expensive.

The moral being...get your DDR now,it ain't gonna get any cheaper.
    I just made a major investment myself, for a soon to be revealed new toy....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    I just made a major investment myself, for a soon to be revealed new toy....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast