Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Canada Have Nuclear Weapons

Poster
    Im doing a 1000 word essay on this and it would be great if i can disucuss this topic with you guys and get 3 arguments to debate on. I am taking the side of No They Shouldnt mainly becuase this might offend USA and other countries for breaking the Nuclear Profileration Treaty, the cost of nuclear wepon manufactering is really high and plus there are no places to test them and I need one more point or anyother points that you guys might think i should use instead of these 2.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    If the argument is no they shouldn't could it be that they don't need them?
    They live under the shield of the USA (just a brief suggestion)

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Not if you can't spell "weapons".

“It’s not the will to win that counts - it is the will to prepare”

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Fromagepas
    Not if you can't spell "weapons".
    I just realized that i spelled it wrong. Okay so Canada is living in sort of a Nuclear Umbrella from the U.S. That could work becuase i can talk about how U.S.A has all the required nuclear technology and canada does supply them Uranium (can anyone back the uranium part). anyone else, Btw what are the costs of developing Nuclear Weapons in the modern world.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Poster
    This is my essay Outline so far

Introduction:
    In this world of high tech advancements and breakthroughs, there are also advancements and breakthroughs in the field of nuclear technology. Such advancements have made nuclear bombs to be more portable and cheap. Allowing anyone and any country to be able to buy, build and unfortunatly use these weapons of mass destruction. Despite World War II and the cold war being finished over 60 years ago, these Nuclear weapons are still lurking out there, and they have become more and more accurate and powerful. Countries like Iran, North Korea and supposedly Iraq have all said to have nuclear weapons. However the more western countries such as U.S.A are out to stop the development of these nuclear weapons. Despite USA having more appx 18820 nuclear warheads/weapons, they feel as if these are in the safer hands then say being in Kim Jong-Il hands. The U.S. and Russia have put new emphasis on the war-fighting role of nuclear weapons. The nuclear weapons states refuse to give up their arsenals and feign surprise that other nations, seeing that nuclear weapons have become the currency of power in the modern world, are trying to acquire them. So are terrorists. No major city in the world is safe from the threat of a nuclear attack. The risk of accident multiplies daily. All these are characteristics of the Second Nuclear Age. Countries like Russia and the US have all made rules on the use of nuclear weapons in wars, yet other “Nuclear States” feel they should not give away these weapons seeing as they are the symbol for power in the modern world. Instead these countries are busy developing them or buying them from the black market, from people like Abdul Qadeer Khan. On the other hand, you never see the country Canada being mentioned in all this. This is because Canada has chosen to live a nuclear free life. in 1971 PM Pierre trudeau decaled that Canada would be nuclear weapon free They are part of the nuclear no proliferation treaty or the NPT, which says to disarm all nuclear weapons and use nuclear technology for peaceful causes. Canada does have the potential to start building nuclear weapons at any given time, and is however a major contributor of nuclear material to the US.

Thesis
    Many countries have left the NPT to form nuclear weapons, but Canada has not and shouldn’t because Canada should not have nuclear weapons.

Argument #1:
    U.S.A has Canada in a nuclear umbrella no need to develop weapons
    Argument #2
    The cost of developing, testing and deploying nuclear weapons is high
    Argument #3
    ??

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    manker's Avatar effendi
    They should have nukes just in case those Alaskans invade.

They are the nearest country after all - and I don't trust 'em, they're just too quiet and nice. Who knows what stockpiles of guns and stuff they've got hidden in the snow up there.

Nuke them now before it's too late!
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    DorisInsinuate's Avatar Four Star Cynic
    Quote Originally Posted by neotheone
    This is my essay Outline so far

Introduction:
    In this world of high tech advancements and breakthroughs, there are also advancements and breakthroughs in the field of nuclear technology. Such advancements have made nuclear bombs to be more portable and cheap. Allowing anyone and any country to be able to buy, build and unfortunatly use these weapons of mass destruction. Despite World War II and the cold war being finished over 60 years ago, these Nuclear weapons are still lurking out there, and they have become more and more accurate and powerful. Countries like Iran, North Korea and supposedly Iraq have all said to have nuclear weapons. However the more western countries such as U.S.A are out to stop the development of these nuclear weapons. Despite USA having more appx 18820 nuclear warheads/weapons, they feel as if these are in the safer hands then say being in Kim Jong-Il hands. The U.S. and Russia have put new emphasis on the war-fighting role of nuclear weapons. The nuclear weapons states refuse to give up their arsenals and feign surprise that other nations, seeing that nuclear weapons have become the currency of power in the modern world, are trying to acquire them. So are terrorists. No major city in the world is safe from the threat of a nuclear attack. The risk of accident multiplies daily. All these are characteristics of the Second Nuclear Age. Countries like Russia and the US have all made rules on the use of nuclear weapons in wars, yet other “Nuclear States” feel they should not give away these weapons seeing as they are the symbol for power in the modern world. Instead these countries are busy developing them or buying them from the black market, from people like Abdul Qadeer Khan. On the other hand, you never see the country Canada being mentioned in all this. This is because Canada has chosen to live a nuclear free life. in 1971 PM Pierre trudeau decaled that Canada would be nuclear weapon free They are part of the nuclear no proliferation treaty or the NPT, which says to disarm all nuclear weapons and use nuclear technology for peaceful causes. Canada does have the potential to start building nuclear weapons at any given time, and is however a major contributor of nuclear material to the US.

Thesis
    Many countries have left the NPT to form nuclear weapons, but Canada has not and shouldn’t because Canada should not have nuclear weapons.

Argument #1:
    U.S.A has Canada in a nuclear umbrella no need to develop weapons
    Argument #2
    The cost of developing, testing and deploying nuclear weapons is high
    Argument #3
    ??
    Your introduction looks at bit chunky. I think you should slim it down to about half that size.

Somewhere in the essay you should also argue points for Canadian nuclear weapons.

I'm for the nukes. It's the only thing that'll stop the threat of George Washington Bush invading.
    It's hot in Topeka.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by DorisInsinuate
    I'm for the nukes. It's the only thing that'll stop the threat of George Washington Bush invading.
    What about Jonno living there now?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume
    Quote Originally Posted by DorisInsinuate
    What about Jonno living there now?
    That may put George Washington Bush off, but what if Tom Leo gets a crew of vigilante desperados together in an effort to get him back to Sheringham.

They'd lay waste to the countryside in a manner not seen since the Hellequin in Britanny. Nukes are the only way to stop that threat - and even then, you'd need at least eleven.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    The Cold War didn't end sixty years ago....

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast