Thread: Diskeeper said my MFT usage is high, and that I should worry about it.

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Can someone please explain what this means to me? In noobs terms.

Apparently my MFT usage is high, and that can cause my HDD to become really fragmented. This is also apparently degrading the health of my C: drive.

What's the MFT really? (Google wasn't much help) And should I really worry? I guess I could open the Frag Sheild and configure my MFT to a larger size, but I read somewhere that the MFT size can never go down (without reformatting) so I should be careful.

Crap I don't know what to do... should I just ignore it? Or panic.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    PANIC!! Aliens have invaded your sectors Actually I get the same thing, but am not sure why I should care, cuz I would assume that anyone who runs DK10 will get the same thing unless they expand the size to something DK deems appropriate. I assume DK wants to make the file tables and fragments the best they can be, and by their standard, the MFT table should be larger. I use DK server enterprise BTW, so its not just the version you are using, if there is really any difference.
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 05-03-2006 at 10:10 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Beats me. =/

So your saying I should just ignore it right? I went into the frag sheild and it said the recommended size for my MFT is 161MB, while it's at 125MB right now. I have a feeling changing it won't make a difference. I mean, the HDD is just going to continue to fill up anyway.

I just don't wanna break something...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    well, I just ran the frag shield to expand the MFT on my C drive. Dunno what to really expect, but everything is fine, and the warning is gone, so apparently I have appeased the diskeeper god I guess its just another feature to help squeeze every last bit of performance from your pc as possible. I have always been fine, and I always ignored it.....till now

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Bleh! Alright, fine, I'll do it too.

If I'm not back in 15 min, my computer is no longer working.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Maybe I will run it on my servers also Maybe the diskeeper god knows I have been ignoring the warning on them as well

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Well, everything is fine I think. It "padded" (it was taking a while, I was starting to worry) my MFT and it went from 125 to 163MB in size. Now Diskeeper reports that my C: drive is very healthy.

Yay!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    well, I have not had any problems, so i think its safe to assume that DK only has our best interest at heart. After all, I do believe that the maker of DK are the ones who created the integrated windows defrag program that is part of windows, only the windows version is old and shitty
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 05-04-2006 at 02:43 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I do that on every computer I work on other than the time it takes, as I do a boot defrag as well never noticed a difference . The padding does take for ever eh .

I set it to defrag every nite at 3:00 am so I don't have to worry .

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    ..mostly it occurs after long usage without a reboot..I always first reboot my computer/s, then run diskeeper, and then if it still gives an "MFT" usage is to high warning, that's the time, for me to expand the MFT. Of course you can allow diskeeper to run "on the fly", in which case you will probably never see that warning...