Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: England Provisional World Cup Squad

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Provisional squad:
    Robinson (Tottenham), James (Manchester City), Green (Norwich); G Neville (Manchester United), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Terry (Chelsea), Cole (Arsenal), Campbell (Arsenal), Carragher (Liverpool), Bridge (Chelsea), Beckham (Real Madrid), Carrick (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jenas (Tottenham), Downing (Middlesbrough), J Cole (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Rooney (Manchester United), Owen (Newcastle), Crouch (Liverpool), Walcott (Arsenal).

Standby:
    Carson (Liverpool), Young (Charlton), Reo-Coker (West Ham), Defoe (Tottenham), Johnson (Crystal Palace).

---

No places for Shaun Wright-Phillips, Jermain Defoe or Ledley King, and only 4 strikers, including 2 who are crippled.

And ffs, how many chances is he going to give Owen Hargreaves?

Sven out.

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    He must have decided to take my advice and play Joe Cole just behind the lone striker.

There is no other possible explanation
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    DorisInsinuate's Avatar Four Star Cynic
    In Sven's defence: Owen is about 90% fit and Hargreaves is apparently a very accomplished player for Bayern Munich.

On the other hand, there's a lot of newbies in there, and Andy Johnson chosen over Darren Bent

It's nice to see Downing finally getting a chance though.
    It's hot in Topeka.

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Owen Hargreaves is shite, he shouldn't be in the squad.

Sol Campbell had a nervous breakdown and has played wank since for Arsenal. Remember how crap he was in the first leg of the semi-final of the Champs League?

Peter Crouch couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. the only possible reason I can see for him is so that we can play the long ball game.

Shaun Wright-Phillips, Jermain Defoe and Ledley King are left out by him too, wtf are his reasons for leaving them out and picking a 17 year old who hasn't even played a first team game this season.

I hadn't even heard of Aaron Lennon until this afternoon and one of my best mates is a Spurs fan.
    Last edited by DanB; 05-08-2006 at 05:22 PM.

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    DorisInsinuate's Avatar Four Star Cynic
    Can't think why Wright-Philips was left out, he's arguably the best right winger we have.

However, Defoe has barely scored this season (less than Crouch, I think), and King is injured.

Supposedly the reason for picking Walcott is because his pace. Allegedly, when he was 14 he ran 100 meters in 11.5 seconds.
    It's hot in Topeka.

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    Yeah Walcott is one of the fastest players i've seen. Only Lennon is faster in the world i think. Defoe hasn't scored much but he hasn't played much. He's still a far better bet and player than Walcott. Plus lets not remember boys and girls Walcott hasn't played up front in a match ever. He always played right wing for Southampton and Arsenal he's been Henry's personal seat warmer.

SWP should have gone, Hargreaves should never have gone, Carrick can play the holding midfield role if needed, and Gerrard can play anywhere if needed (CL Final he played 45+minutes as RB).

Campbell shouldn't go either, he's 32 now, lost all his pace and he's having issues. Terry, Ferdinand, JC and an injured LK would be a better choice. Or if LK isn't ever going to make it Wes Brown hasn't been in bad form, and can cover RV if needed.

Also what happens if GN or AC get injured? Wayne Bridge - who hasn't played 10 straight games in nearly 2 years.

Im glad Downings in the squad, since he came back from injury he's been playing great. However Jenas? When's he really going to get a game? Gerrard and Lampard are never going to be subbed for another midfielder or not played unless they are injured, and if one of them does get injured Carrick/Beckham/Hargreaves can cover.

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    I think I'd make a better manager than Sven
    Why would he not pick SWP? the only logical answer is that hes a rasict (Campbell/cole/Ferdinand dont count)

my german squad look ok:

- Jens Lehmann
    - Oliver Kahn *G
    - Timo Hildebrand
    - Robert Huth *D
    - Per Mertesacker*D
    - Christian Worns
    - Patrick Owomoyela
    - Arne Friedrich *D
    - Lukas Sinkiewicz
    - Marcell Jansen
    - Christoph Metzelder *D
    - Bastian Schweinsteiger *M
    - Michael Ballack *M
    - Thomas Hitzlsperger
    - Bernd Schneider
    - Torsten Frings
    - Sebastian Deisler *M
    - Tim Borowski *M
    - Fabian Ernst
    - Gerald Asamoah
    - Miroslav Klose *S
    - Lukas Podolski * S
    - Kevin Kuranyi(good but unexperienced)

* = players I think are good, and the position they play.
    Last edited by maebach; 05-09-2006 at 01:59 AM.

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by maebach
    Why would he not pick SWP? the only logical answer is that hes a rasict (Campbell/cole/Ferdinand dont count)

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Peerzy's arbitrary abbreviation for players, competitions and positions made my eyes bleed
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Agreed. I hadn't realised Lorraine Kelly and Jesus Christ were in the running.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast