Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ~~Help With Using U-torrent~~

Hi i enabled my Protocol Encryption in my Utorrent client and its a big difference i got maximum speeds but....

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME CHOOSE THE BEST PORT NUMBERS TO USE IN MY UTORRENT CLIENT???, I HAVE SPEEDTOUCH MODEM 330 AND TISCALI 1MB BROADBAND.

PS. HOW DO I MAKE THE PORT NUMBERS IN MY CLIENT AND WITH THE WINDOWS FIREWALL???

and what is difference between protocol encrytion being enabled and disable???

Thanks

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Retired
    have you checked the sticky threads? most of your questions will be answered if you read the guides

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Port: It's probably best to use a higher port number, but you should be fine with any. I use ports in the 60,000's.

Port & Windows Firewall: Using the same port you are using with utorrent (make sure utorrent isn't set to randomize each time), go to the security settings for windows firewall. Once there you should just be able to add utorrent as an exception (go to add program and navigate to utorrent). If the port still doesn't work you can add that manually.

Protocol Encryption: If it's enabled you can send encrypted data, if it's disabled you cannot. If it's forced you send encrypted data every single time.

Anyone please feel free to correct me on any of this.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Hi there thanks for your reply

*can you reccommend me port numbers in between??? and

*should i leave my protocol encrytion to enabled or forced

Thanks

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    justinius23's Avatar Poster
    i use port 34210 (opened in my firewall) with encryption enabled. i have a 2mb (uncapped) tiscali line and on good torrents can get 128+ kBp/s d/l speeds.

when seeding, and not d/ling i can get upload speeds of around 50-60kBp/s.

this seems to work pretty well, i'm pretty happy with these speeds.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    i think anywhere from 6881-6990 is the original ports for bt

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by rejaul2005
    Hi there thanks for your reply

*can you reccommend me port numbers in between??? and

*should i leave my protocol encrytion to enabled or forced

Thanks
    Ports: I would say just find a random one using the feature in utorrent (random port). Find a relatively high one you like.

Encryption: As you long as your ISP doesn't throttle your bandwidth (you'd know if they did, your speeds would be ridicuously slow) you can just leave it enabled. This way you can connect to those that have forced encryption. If you were forced you would only connect to other people with encryption enabled, and I'd say at least half (depending on the tracker) don't have encryption enabled.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Hi ive put on protocol encryption on Forced, my downloads dont start but when its on enabled it has maximum speeds ocassionaly, and my port number is on 51023, can you tell me if my settings are right???.

Ps. is there any other changes i should make???, also which is better U-torrent 1.5 or U-torrent 1.5.1 Beta??

Thanks

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Yeah the port is fine and enabled is fine. Utorrent 1.5 will be more stable, but you should be fine with either.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb506
    i think anywhere from 6881-6990 is the original ports for bt
    It's best not to use these port numbers. Many internet providers throttle the speed for traffic on these ports which has prompted some trackers to ban them. Best to use something in the higher ranges that nothing else on your comp uses. or just get UTorrent to make a random one for you. just don't set it to do that each time it loads or your firewall could block the traffic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast