Thread: How to fit 1500 on mp3

ive been readin alot of posts but i want a direct answer. i have a 4gb mp3 player and it says it can hold up 1500 songs on it but i have like 700 and its almost filled so heres my question. wht should i convert the songs to so i dont lose good quality or very little so i can get the 1500 or close to it. also a program you suggest would be good to. thank you

2. Music   -   #2
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    Theres no way to have 1500 songs on there without having some noticable quality loss.

Your trying to squeeze dollars out of pennies.

3. Music   -   #3
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I've posted about mp3s using this analogy before...

When you convert a WAV to mp3 you are squashing it down into a smaller size, albeit in a different format.
    When you play the mo3 file in, say, WinAmp, it gets decoded to a WAV file in memory first.

Imagine you have a paper bag you want to make smaller so you can store more in your cupboard ('cos you're a weirdo).
    Folding to make it smaller makes creases and when you open it out again, you can see the creases remain no matter how hard you try to flatten it again, yet it's still recognisably a paper bag that can be used as such.
    The more you fold the bag, the more creases you'll see when you open it out again.
    This is exactly what is going on when you compress WAV files to mp3 - you lose more quality the more you compress it.

I've told everyone I know showing interest in mp3 players to ignore any holds up to xxx files quotes in blurb because they're effectively meaningless.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Music   -   #4
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK
    I've posted about mp3s using this analogy before...

When you convert a WAV to mp3 you are squashing it down into a smaller size, albeit in a different format.
    When you play the mo3 file in, say, WinAmp, it gets decoded to a WAV file in memory first.

Imagine you have a paper bag you want to make smaller so you can store more in your cupboard ('cos you're a weirdo).
    Folding to make it smaller makes creases and when you open it out again, you can see the creases remain no matter how hard you try to flatten it again, yet it's still recognisably a paper bag that can be used as such.
    The more you fold the bag, the more creases you'll see when you open it out again.
    This is exactly what is going on when you compress WAV files to mp3 - you lose more quality the more you compress it.

I've told everyone I know showing interest in mp3 players to ignore any holds up to xxx files quotes in blurb because they're effectively meaningless.
    Wow, that was the best analogy I've ever seen/read.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

5. Music   -   #5
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by bikejumpr2020
    ive been readin alot of posts but i want a direct answer. i have a 4gb mp3 player and it says it can hold up 1500 songs on it but i have like 700 and its almost filled so heres my question. wht should i convert the songs to so i dont lose good quality or very little so i can get the 1500 or close to it. also a program you suggest would be good to. thank you
    You should be able to encode your mp3's to a bitrate of 192 without any noticeable loss of quality. Lower than that then you will probably be able to tell the difference.

Having said that, I've only managed to get about 200 songs encoded like that on my 1GB player, so I think 700-800 is about right for your 4GB one.