Thread: Guitar question for those that know!

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Gonna get some new pickups for my new Virgo I bought (BC Rich, one hell of a sexy beast).

--> I was thinking EMG 60's (at the neck) and an EMG 81 (at the bridge), so if anyone on here has had any experience with these pickups please lemme know what you think of them.

--> (If the above dont work out) What pickups do you suggest? I need something that are really good, and something that'll scream the fuck out when Pinch Harmonics are performed.

--> Amplifier= dead, my Line 6 Spider II died a few weeks ago (my fault), so what amp do you guys suggest? I'm doing a lot of research and so far I've concluded that electronic amps, as in non-tube amps, (as in amps that "emulate" the sound using computer programs and stuff like my Spider II) arent the best choice when it comes to sound and stuff. So ya any suggestions on a good amp with overdrive built in if possible but doesnt have to be. 30 Watts and up if possible, perhaps even a 100 (i plan on gigging this summer). I play mostly Metallica (pre-Black Album), Iron Maiden, some Slayer, Slipknot, SOAD, Malmsteen, Stone Sour, and even some Seether (wow so many S's lol) and the classic rock/roll/metal songs.
    Last edited by cpt_azad; 05-16-2006 at 05:55 AM.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. Music   -   #2
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    Gonna get some new pickups for my new Virgo I bought (BC Rich, one hell of a sexy beast).

--> I was thinking EMG 60's (at the neck) and an EMG 81 (at the bridge), so if anyone on here has had any experience with these pickups please lemme know what you think of them.

--> (If the above dont work out) What pickups do you suggest? I need something that are really good, and something that'll scream the fuck out when Pinch Harmonics are performed.

--> Amplifier= dead, my Line 6 Spider II died a few weeks ago (my fault), so what amp do you guys suggest? I'm doing a lot of research and so far I've concluded that electronic amps, as in non-tube amps, (as in amps that "emulate" the sound using computer programs and stuff like my Spider II) arent the best choice when it comes to sound and stuff. So ya any suggestions on a good amp with overdrive built in if possible but doesnt have to be. 30 Watts and up if possible, perhaps even a 100 (i plan on gigging this summer). I play mostly Metallica (pre-Black Album), Iron Maiden, some Slayer, Slipknot, SOAD, Malmsteen, Stone Sour, and even some Seether (wow so many S's lol) and the classic rock/roll/metal songs.
    sometimes i feel like its just me and you in musicworld.

i'll confess i dont know jack about switching out pickups, but i can tell you that EMG 81's are pretty damm sexy.

about the amp: do you have any type of music shop near you? with instruments, it's the type of thing i'd prefer to see in person and play with before i shell out the cash. i always walk into the music shop and just start plugging stuff in to see what sounds good with what and which one can be tweaked the best and so on.

if you're not in a position to go in person to look at stuff i could give you a few amps to look up.

3. Music   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad

sometimes i feel like its just me and you in musicworld.

i'll confess i dont know jack about switching out pickups, but i can tell you that EMG 81's are pretty damm sexy.

about the amp: do you have any type of music shop near you? with instruments, it's the type of thing i'd prefer to see in person and play with before i shell out the cash. i always walk into the music shop and just start plugging stuff in to see what sounds good with what and which one can be tweaked the best and so on.

if you're not in a position to go in person to look at stuff i could give you a few amps to look up.
    lol I think its only me and you man against the world hahah

Anyways, I have 2 stores near my place that I can go to (Tom lee and Long and Mcquade), and I've tried out some amps already, its just that I need some suggestions from people that have experienced an awesome amp so I could go and try that same make/model to see if it suits me. So far the Spider II 112 amp is fucking godly, so I might shell out 400 for that but lets wait and see.

Oh btw, for anyone that lives in Vancouver, I have to give HUGE PROPS to West Coast Music (downtown vancouver), they are by far the best music store I've dealth with. Prices that will blow away the competition not to mention customer service to boot, seriously, the owner/employees that work there are so incredibly helpful and knowledgeable and they truly just want whats best for you, they're not after your money (if they were they'd jack up the prices).

I just picked up a Virgo for 550 bucks from there, unfuckingbelievable, and my Warlock only cost 397 after tax!!!! And it was the platinum version with the widow headstock! Westcoast music ftw

4. Music   -   #4
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    What about me? I guess I don't count in music world.

I have experience with EMG 81's myself, and I would definately suggest them!

As for the Amp, what are you looking for? Full stack, half stack, compact amps?
    If you're looking for pure power and tone, with an assload of digital effects get a Marshall head. The MG100HDFX head is a powerhouse and sounds badass, especially when paired with a Marshall 4x12" cabinet. I got my head off ebay for $150 used, but a buddy of mine just picked up similar though 150 watt head for $200 off some one at our local Guitar Center, and then bought a Marshall 4x12 for another $200.. Got a $1400 half stack for only $400! I was rather impressed.

The concussive force coming off his rig at volume level 3 ( out of 10 ) was powerful enough to make it hard to breath a few feet away from the cabinet. The neighbors were coming out of their houses to see what the hell was going on.
    Last edited by Damnatory; 05-17-2006 at 08:23 AM.

5. Music   -   #5

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Damnatory
    What about me? I guess I don't count in music world.

I have experience with EMG 81's myself, and I would definately suggest them!

As for the Amp, what are you looking for? Full stack, half stack, compact amps?
    If you're looking for pure power and tone, with an assload of digital effects get a Marshall head. The MG100HDFX head is a powerhouse and sounds badass, especially when paired with a Marshall 4x12" cabinet. I got my head off ebay for $150 used, but a buddy of mine just picked up similar though 150 watt head for $200 off some one at our local Guitar Center, and then bought a Marshall 4x12 for another $200.. Got a $1400 half stack for only $400! I was rather impressed.

The concussive force coming off his rig at volume level 3 ( out of 10 ) was powerful enough to make it hard to breath a few feet away from the cabinet. The neighbors were coming out of their houses to see what the hell was going on.
    Hahahaha, alright alright, lets say that you (Damnatory) lee, and I are the only ones that ever post here lol (jp jp)

Anyways, I'll be picking up the 81's next week, and my Warlock finally came in (I caved in, I'm buying it again but for cheaper and its' the platinum pro) until then I'm using the Virgo (I seriously wanna make love to that guitar lol so damn hot).

As for the amps, half stack is prob my dream when I move in to the bigger house, for now I need something compact but not pussy. I'll def check into that Marshall model, and having experience with Marshall, I know that they're awesome (no shit). I don't want too many effects actually, I just want a nice clean POWERFUL sick ass amp, with overdrive/distortion if possible. I'm gonna buy a few pedals either way (I sold most of mine, and some of em were 2nd hand) like the UberMetal or the Boss Super Overdrive (so far my fav, but unfortanately sold it). Throw in some Octavefuzz and maybe a wah pedal, that's about it for effects. So in short, I don't need a fancy amp that has a shitload of efffects that I'll prob never use.

Just need something (till September, when I just might...get a half stack ill post pics on here if/when I do ) that'll get the job done and is powerful enough to do so.

Here's what I was thinking, but then again it goes against what I was saying about effects, cuz this thing is like effects heaven (but from what I've heard, its an overall insanely good amplifier):

http://www.line6.com/spiderii/112.html

Do you think that'll tie me over till Sept? And I'm going this friday to test play it.

6. Music   -   #6
    Found this while on the Line 6 site (its linked to youtube), just something random and stupid lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPjnG...ick%20thompson