Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got my 32" lcd tv and it's kicking ass...

harrycary's Avatar Poster
    LCDs are by far the worst form of flat screen TV available.

Give it a couple of years and you'll see why.

This is not to mention the loss of quality on their poor viewing angles.

This is just my opinion based on years working in the the repair industry, but I hope you enjoy it none the less.

BTW, HDMI is a digital audio & video protocol and DVI is digital video only. You don't use both. And, either is of a higher quality then an analog VGA connection.

regards

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by harrycary

This is just my opinion based on years working in the the repair industry, but I hope you enjoy it none the less.

BTW, HDMI is a digital audio & video protocol and DVI is digital video only. You don't use both. And, either is of a higher quality then an analog VGA connection.

regards
    Meh, I dont mind, the reason is the only choices I had when buying were:

LCD, Plasma, DLP, or just plain old projection.

Plasma = burn-ins and on top of that you're paying so much

DLP = way too expensive for my taste, and if I were to buy one I'd want at least a 42" which I don't have room for right now

Plain old projection = big phat ass

LCD seemed like the logical choice, but we shall see (btw I'm selling this in APril and buying a DLP since I"ll have a much bigger room )

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9

regards
    LCD's are not at all with the technology getting better. Dynamic ratios are getting higher and the colors are getting better too. Plasmas color fade over time. If you have seen a Sharp Aquos LCD then you will see what I mean.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    While the manufacturing of LCD screens has become better the bottom line is the inherent degradation that happens to the liquid crystal used in a LCD screen. You simply cannot deny that. Scientists and researchers are still studying this issue and trying to come up with a solution.

"dymanic ratios?" You must mean "contrast ratios". And I agree, they have gotten better, as well as have the pixel response times. But this has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

But alas, all the current technologies aren't very good. And frankly, nothing right now beats the "old fashion" CRT driven HD TV/monitor.

Not to mention the complete lack of content available for any HD TV. I don't know about elsewhere, but here in the US there isn't much. And to spend that kind of money only to receive a fraction of your programming in true HD is a waste of money. Why pay for that resolution only to watch your DVDs and 3/4 of your television programs in normal resolution? (for bragging rights I guess)

But, this brings up a paradox: content providers don't want to spend the money on eqquipment due to limited viewership with said equipment and us consumers aren't buying the equipment fast enough due to lack of content and cost.

This works for me though, let everyone else buy these 1st, 2nd, and 3rd(etc) generation TVs thereby driving the price down for me to buy when there is more content available.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    While the manufacturing of LCD screens has become better the bottom line is the inherent degradation that happens to the liquid crystal used in a LCD screen. You simply cannot deny that. Scientists and researchers are still studying this issue and trying to come up with a solution.

"dymanic ratios?" You must mean "contrast ratios". And I agree, they have gotten better, as well as have the pixel response times. But this has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

But alas, all the current technologies aren't very good. And frankly, nothing right now beats the "old fashion" CRT driven HD TV/monitor.

Not to mention the complete lack of content available for any HD TV. I don't know about elsewhere, but here in the US there isn't much. And to spend that kind of money only to receive a fraction of your programming in true HD is a waste of money. Why pay for that resolution only to watch your DVDs and 3/4 of your television programs in normal resolution? (for bragging rights I guess)

But, this brings up a paradox: content providers don't want to spend the money on eqquipment due to limited viewership with said equipment and us consumers aren't buying the equipment fast enough due to lack of content and cost.

This works for me though, let everyone else buy these 1st, 2nd, and 3rd(etc) generation TVs thereby driving the price down for me to buy when there is more content available.
    Yes I do agree that CRTs are good and there is no ghosting but holy shit they get heavy once they get over 30" and shipping for a CRT tv is rediculus. I've been waiting like you are but I figured I'll keep waiting and there will always be something better later on so I thought feck it, its a good deal and I've waited long enough. Sure Philips fucked it up but I know they have a repair center about 20 miles from my house and they can repair it for free under warrenty.

Btw, I'm not sure if I said this but the Sharp AQUOS lcd tv's are one of the best lcd's out right now, if not the best of what I've seen. Supposedly they have the best black levels on their tvs but you just have to configure them a lot to get it just right. I think thier 42" lcd has a 4000:1 contrast ratio which is amazing.
    Last edited by silent h3ro; 05-29-2006 at 12:55 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Gam3Guy
    I think thier 42" lcd has a 4000:1 contrast ratio which is amazing.
    That's what I'm gonna buy come April 07, or the Dell W3706MC or even the Samsung 42" models out there...all depends on how deep my pockets are by then lol, I'm gonna use the 32" I have right now as most likely the comp moniter, however it does get hard on the eyes after a while (sitting so close to it) so I'll prob buy a seperate 21" monitor for comp use...leaving me with a 32" tv, lol either sell it or keep it for the looks hahaha

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    maybe i'm late in asking this, but what exactly do u look for when shopping for an lcd hdtv? i was @ frys today and saw a samsung 40' with contrast ratio of 5000:1. compared it to the others which had 4000, 3000:1 ratios. of course the 5k looked hella better. what else to look for in these tv's?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    The most important thing to look for is response time (8ms and under is GOOD), then contrast ratio and then viewing angle and of coarse size but that depends on how much you are willing to spend.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Priority list for LCD's (in my opinion):

1) Contrast Ratio
    2) Response Time (if its above 8ms, don't even consider buying it, book it out of there asap lol)
    3) Viewing angle --> Tilt Radius, basically, is the viewing angle obtuse or acute, obviously go with something that is as obtuse as possible.
    4) Inputs/Outputs, don't buy anything that does not have any of the following:

-HDMI input
    -At least 1 component (set) input(s)
    -At least 2 composit inputs
    -Optional, it just sweetens the deal, look for a VGA input
    -At least 1 DVI input
    Almost all LCD's out there now (27" and up) meet the above guidelines

5) Cost.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Yea, what azad said. Inputs are very important.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast