Thread: Modem

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    I'm on dail-up. I know for sure that I have a V92 modem. But the number I dial to access the internet is for V90 modems. I can still connect and it works fine. But I still wanna know, whats the difference between V90 and V92? If I dail a V92 number will it be faster??

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    it is a compression standard i believe.

but the line quality will still be the same so you are not gonna get any real performance boost.

Maybe 0.1 - 0.2 k if your lucky.

The only way get get faster speeds is to open up your wallet and get broadband.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i think you can also use the phone at the same time as you on the net, not sure if the net still works, or if its like a hold feature,

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Q. So what is the difference between V.90 and V.92

A. V.92 is the new specification from the ITU (International Telecommunications Union), which while it still supports a 56Kbps connection, does bring three new features:

QuickConnect speeds up the time it takes the modem to communicate (hand shake) with the remote computer.
    PCM Upstream improves the upload connection between the modem and remote computer.
    Modem-On-Hold will allow users who use the same phone line for both the internet and voice calls to switch between the two with out loosing their connection to the Net (call waiting is required)
    So although you don't gain a faster Internet experience (other than uploading) there are significant improvements.
    Most modems are V.90 compatible but are upgradeable to V.92
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    as a follow-on from the last post, the maximum upload speed will go up from 28.8 kbps to 56.6 kbps
    should make sharing files on kazaa and transferring files a bit quicker for you

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    And how do you identify whether your modem is a v90 or v92...?
    I'm pretty sure mine is a v90 , but who cares I'm going on DSL soon .

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    it would prob say when u bought the comp, or it will probably say in some of the crap that came with your comp

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    if you look in device manager you'll be able to see what kind of modem you have.
    just expand the section on your modem and it'll say in the name if it's v.90 or v.92