Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P2P throttling by ISP's

Quote Originally Posted by justinius23
    how is it possible to throttle torrents specifically?

It's called "Deep packet inspection". They look inside every packet of data and can tell what kind it is. Then if it's P2P, they bin it/slow it down/ strangle it.
    Encryption is supposed to stop them being able to do this by pretending the packet is something else. It's not clear how successful encryption is at doing this, but it must be worth a try.

But at peak times, none of the ISPs has enough capacity, and neither does the telephone network, so it's going to be slowed down anyway.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    justinius23's Avatar Poster
    yeah, i expect slower speeds at peak times i just thought dropping from 200+ to 10 was slightly taking the piss.

i guess i'll just d/l from p2p at night and spike their bandwidth at peak times with usenet or something!

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    More on encryption:
    I've got encryption enabled on utorrent and have just had a look at my ISP's analysis of what my bandwidth is used for. They've got about half of it down as P2P and the other half as "Other".
    This suggests that encryption does get stuff past their P2P detector, though they can of course just throttle the "other" to get round it.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    j0hn's Avatar leet poster BT Rep: +1
    try changing the default port used
    the encryption hides it from the isp that u are using torrents
    so they cant be traffic shaping ur torrents during peak times, unless u have it set up wrong

i know for a fact that encryption works with tiscali

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    NiKRuLeZ's Avatar µTorrent BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Ah well, i hate it when ISP's throttle.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    justinius23's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hn
    try changing the default port used
    the encryption hides it from the isp that u are using torrents
    so they cant be traffic shaping ur torrents during peak times, unless u have it set up wrong

i know for a fact that encryption works with tiscali
    i am not using the default port. the port i am using is open and accepting incoming connections. i have a green light and my bandwidth readings are fine. my normal downloads are as quick as i can expect.
    actually, i know for a fact i have it set up properly.

it's kinda strange that the speeds (on the same torrents) shoot up to 200kB/s after peak times, compared to like 10kB/s from 6 to around 11 in the evening. i could live with reduced speeds (due to increased usage) but 1/20th seems a bit much.

i take it you're with tiscali and have never experienced slow speeds?
    Last edited by justinius23; 05-26-2006 at 09:37 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12