Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got a dvd burner..

Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    My dad picked up a cheap 600$ AMD sempron based computer to replace his old p2 233. It has a dvd burner in it..and I have no idea how to use it. If I wanted to rent a movie and copy it..how would I go about that?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Get yourself 3 programs.

AnyDVD
    DVD Shrink
    DVD Decrypter

Let AnyDVD run in the background (it disables copy protection).
    Use DVD Shrink to compress the movie to fit onto 4.7GB DVD media.
    Use the Backup button in DVD Shrink and then choose Select backup target: ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter.

DVD Decrypter will automatically burn the image after the compression.

Play with DVD Shrink to learn as much as you can. It's a very versatile tool. Use the Re-author and Compression Settings tab to reduce the compression to keep higher quality video.
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 05-20-2006 at 07:24 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Chip Monk's Avatar Darth Monk Like.
    DVDShrink doesn't need another decrypter, it does it anyway. Your'e just using system resources by having something running in the background that you don't really need.

Why would you use DVD Decrypter as burning software, better to use burning software.

Really all you need is DVDShrink, which is a free download and whatever burning software came with the PC. Use DVDShrink to reduce the whole thing to the proper size (it'll do it automatically for you). Or select which parts you want to keep). Then burn the resultant files as video.

I prefer AnyDVD and CloneDVD2, as it is very simple to use.

www.doom9.org for everything you need to know about video.
    You do not need to see my I.D.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Because DVD Decrypter is an excellent burning software and doesn't use much system resources. All 3 installers for the programs I mentioned total 3.2 mb in size and DVD Decrypter is the smallest at less than 900kb.

Also DVD Shrink is designed to use DVD Decrypter as an integrated burning software.
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 05-20-2006 at 08:50 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    you will need to use a program like DVD Decrypter if the DVD you are trying to copy has copy protection

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    I cant find anydvd on the interweb..

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Because DVD Decrypter is an excellent burning software and doesn't use much system resources. All 3 installers for the programs I mentioned total 3.2 mb in size and DVD Decrypter is the smallest at less than 900kb.

Also DVD Shrink is designed to use DVD Decrypter as an integrated burning software.
    DVD decrypter is not "an excellent burning software" it's a piece of software designed to remove copy protection when copying DVDs. You used to need it prior to using DVDShrink, but DVDShrink can now remove the protection itself.

Why you would need AnyDVD when using either of them is totally beyond me.

AnyDVD is provided by the same people who supply CloneDVD2 and it removes copy protection so you can make backups using CloneDVD. It is totally unnecessary when using DVDShrink.

Your suggestion is to run a background programme, which DVDShrink does not need, then to use another programme (designed to remove copy protection) to do the burning. That makes no sense.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    AnyDVD works in the background to automatically remove the copy protection of a DVD movie as soon as it's inserted into the drive, allowing you then to backup the movie using a DVD backup tool such as CloneDVD
    Thanks for clearing that up.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...dvd_shrink.cfm

DVD Shrink is a versatile freeware tool for fitting a DVD-Video disc on a single DVDR disc.

DVD Shrink is capable of both re-authoring and re-encoding the movie. It features an intuitive user interface which makes it easy to choose what to keep, and what to lose.

DVD Shrinks allow the user to select compression level for each video track separately to obtain the desired disc size (which is usually below 4.38GB). The software is capable of producing either an ISO image of the ripped DVD, or a VIDEO_TS folder for further processing, viewing or burning.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I think you need to reread my post. I said that AnyDVD runs in the background not DVD Decrypter.

And no, DVD Decrypter isn't just for decrypting. It's a burning app too. Look at this screenshot of DVD Shrink as proof. It shows that access to it as a burning app is built-in and is intended for that purpose:

Why are you so argumentative? If you really dislike DVD Decrypter that much then maybe you should look into ImgBurn http://www.imgburn.com/ which is just a continuation of DVD Decrypter anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast