Thread: Question

Zequabie's Avatar n00b
    I don't know but would'nt it be wise to delete the old (really old ones) Usenet releases. Because there mostly inactive (i.e. article not found). Free up server space.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    visionaryone
    I assume your talking about the newsgroups section on this website and not the whole "Usenet". I think when an article becomes too old it auto deletes the NZB (I could be wrong though) and the forum posts that are left are not gonna take up much server space at all.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Zequabie's Avatar n00b
    Yea, I'm talking about the ones on this site of course. I guess it don't take up much server space, but It's still wasted space. There has to be a way to preserve those links, otherwise, In-a-way. It's false advertisement.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    clairebear
    yeh i think zequabie is right too cause even newsservers with 70days wont cover really old releases

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    visionaryone
    Quote Originally Posted by Zequabie
    Yea, I'm talking about the ones on this site of course. I guess it don't take up much server space, but It's still wasted space. There has to be a way to preserve those links, otherwise, In-a-way. It's false advertisement.
    This website has a 40 day retention on NZB's, as far as i know. Changing retention to 70 days would, however, hurt server load and space. I also don't see how or why you would be concerned about server loads when members are not asked to pay for it. I'm sure the owner is aware of server issues, i wouldn't worry if i was you.

I also don't see how its false advertising, you dont pickup a newspaper from the previous month and expect the special offers from say "Dixons" to still hold good.

Swings and roundabouts.....

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    If i recal they are deleted after 50 days on this server. I know the last server we were on had a 200gb hdd and of that we were only using a tiny fraction to run the forum, so im assuming space really is not an issue.

The only thing i can see being a problem is bandwidth if this section becomes much busier. We have chatted about zipping up the nzb's since they are txt they compress very well for instance you can compress a 4meg nzb to 200kb easily. since its not an issue at the minute they havn't bothered doing it.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    visionaryone
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play
    We have chatted about zipping up the nzb's since they are txt they compress very well for instance you can compress a 4meg nzb to 200kb easily.
    but the script can't handle em, right?

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    mikeco's Avatar Rossco's Manager
    If i recal they are deleted after 50 days on this server. I know the last server we were on had a 200gb hdd and of that we were only using a tiny fraction to run the forum, so im assuming space really is not an issue.

The only thing i can see being a problem is bandwidth if this section becomes much busier. We have chatted about zipping up the nzb's since they are txt they compress very well for instance you can compress a 4meg nzb to 200kb easily. since its not an issue at the minute they havn't bothered doing it.
    id like to see rossco do this as im kinda sick of having to wait a min or 2 for the nzb to upload, when i could just zip it and have it uploaded with in a few seconds.

but that would mean the php script wont be able to find out how old the nzb is with out unzipping it on the server then opening it which might make the server be slower

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by visionaryone
    We have chatted about zipping up the nzb's since they are txt they compress very well for instance you can compress a 4meg nzb to 200kb easily.
    Not yet.

They NZB data is deleted after 30, 40 or 50 days (I can't remember right now, reality has had me change it a few times), but the links, posts and images remain. When a link is clicked for a nzb older than the retention then they get message that it's gone because it's old.

Currently the NZB table is using ~920mb. This goes up and down every day since new posts are NZBs are uploaded and old ones deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeco
    id like to see rossco do this as im kinda sick of having to wait a min or 2 for the nzb to upload, when i could just zip it and have it uploaded with in a few seconds.
    It would be uncompressed when they post and stored that way...when downloading i'm not sure if compressed would be better, I kind of like being able to just click once and have it open in newsleecher.
    Last edited by tesco; 05-26-2006 at 07:39 PM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    visionaryone
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    Quote Originally Posted by visionaryone

Not yet.
    /me looks forward to upgrade-age™

Edit: Having to Unzip/Unrar a nzb each time you DL one will be come a real pain i must admit but if you can store them compressed on the server that would be awesome, or even better we could up them zipped and your clever l33tn3ss could unzip em on download! I'm ranting....... I'll stop.....
    Last edited by visionaryone; 05-26-2006 at 07:49 PM.