Thread: Speed Question

Poster
    Folks,

Ive got a 10 meg cable connection with NTL in the uk and I use an unlimiterd newshosting account and grabbbit.

I was just wondering what speeds other users get. During the day I get around 800-1000k a second but sometimes in the evening it drops to like 100k a second.

Would be interested to know if this is a NTL problem or just newshosting not having enough bandwidth.

Does anybody know if NTL lower speeds after youve gone over a limit or if I need to upgrade to a better usenet provider.

Thanks

QP

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    mwag
    Newshosting always ran full speed for me, so I don't think that's the problem.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    visionaryone
    This should have nothing to do with Newshosting i know people who constantly get max speed 24/7. Looks like NTL could be capping you off in the evening.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Poster
    Thanks guys, NTL say they dont cap. They say there are limits but apparently "they dont enforce them".

Anyone else with a NTL connection able to help?

Cheers

QP

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    mikeco's Avatar Rossco's Manager
    have u tryed downloading stuff from a website to check if u are been limited?

then u can see if it is newsco or NTL

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    visionaryone
    Yeah or try a speed test in the evening when you think your being limited. I can't believe Newshosting would limit you though, I have an account with Usenetserver.com and have a 25mb adsl2 line, I never get limited and have a constant 2500kbs (unless the wifi router gets too hot - happens alot )

If they limited me i would jump ship quicker than you can say "Titanic"

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    QP

My mate got upgraded on NTL to the 10mb, he was always cursing the speeds, queried his newsprovider/ntl etc just like yourself. Wasn't until an NTL engineer called did he get it sorted, straight away he told him it was the modem that couldnt hack the 10mb, swapped his old ntl modem for a diff one and that was it sorted.

Just a thought m8
    Last edited by asdam4n; 05-26-2006 at 07:29 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    visionaryone
    Good point Asdam4n! If you have a little USB modem it'll struggle alot.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Poster
    Sorry for the delay guys, ive been away for a while.

Thanks for all the messages, Im at work now but I will try some speedtests at home and let you know.

Asdam4n - Thats not a bad idea actually, ive had the modem for quite a while so maybe I just need to get a new one. Ahhh the joys of phoning NTL

Visonary - My modem is running straight into a netgear router through RJ45 but a good thought anyway.

Cheers Guys

QP