Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shevchenko Chelsea Bound

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/5000208.stm
    http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?h...rms+Milan+exit

Nice, the two best strikers in the world playing in England, i can't wait to see Henry Drogba and Shevchenko battle it out for the Golden Boot.

What do you guys think? Bad for the English game because Chelsea will just pwnz all? Good because the more world class high profile signings the better the league gets and the more chance other clubs have of signing world class players?

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Yeah but Drogba has requested a transfer and has been told no so he may well not be 100% happy which means he could play shit or if he fucks off Mourinho just be dropped. After all you could well have Tevez on his way to you and you haven't lost Crespo yet (as far as I'm aware no deals have been made) so Drogba loses a lot of his importance.

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    I thought Steve Chenko was a Givern a good while ago.

It's certainly a good thing for Chelski, he's a fucking fantastic striker (except agin Liv'pool).

It's probably a good thing for the Premiership financially. As you suggest, more big names = more big names wanting to join your league, probably leading to more success in Europe and more money thro' TV, sponsorship and prize money.

However, is it good for English football. Well to be honest, 3 or 4 teams have dominated English football for ages, that becoming 4 or 5 won't really matter. However if it gets to the unlikely stgae that Chelski are winning everything, every year, then it becomes bad. You really do need some elephant of competition.

I can't see that happening tho'. manutd may have sold the shirts now that they are half a billion pounds in debt. However I think Arsenal are on the up, Liv'pool and Newcy Broon will always be strong due to the fan base and Spurts are making a bit of a breakthrough.
    Last edited by Mr JP Fugley; 05-27-2006 at 07:14 AM.

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    freakycfc
    go on the chelsea

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by freakycfc
    go on the chelsea
    wtf?
    I dont really like shevchenko, but sooner or later people will be fedup with chelsea's amazing players who cant win anything outside of england.

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by maebach
    Quote Originally Posted by freakycfc
    go on the chelsea
    wtf?
    I dont really like shevchenko, but sooner or later people will be fedup with chelsea's amazing players who cant win anything outside of england.
    Yeah, how many times have Chelsea won the Turkish league? I bet it's less than five times.

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    Yeah but Drogba has requested a transfer and has been told no so he may well not be 100% happy which means he could play shit or if he fucks off Mourinho just be dropped. After all you could well have Tevez on his way to you and you haven't lost Crespo yet (as far as I'm aware no deals have been made) so Drogba loses a lot of his importance.
    Crespo has been offered a new contract, he has 1 year left and we have offered him an extra two so Mourinho still wants him and he has said Drogba isn't leaving. With 3 strikers then Mourinho must be intending to go 4-1-2-1-2 next season, leaving Duff, SWP, Robben and to a lesser extent Cole in the shitter.

Cech
    Gallas-Carvalho/New Signing-Terry-Del Horno/Carlos
    -------------------Mackelele
    ---------------Essien-----Lampard
    --------------------Ballack
    ------------Drogba/Crespo-Shevchenko

Cole can play in any midfield position apart from Mackelele's so its not such a problem for him but the other wingers may have problems. I suspect he will alternate between this 4-1-2-1-2 and his 4-3-3 formation, in the first Mourinho season players didn't know how to stop our wingers but this season all apart from Cole have been made useless pretty much as teams using the 4-4-2 use the full back and winger to make our wingers when they have the ball. Using two systems will give us a choice on how to break down other teams.

Drogba and Shevchenko would be a good strike force, for all Drogba's bad finishing and first touch he's great at holding the ball up and one of the best target men in the game and with Shevchenko's pace and finishing i can really see us going close to the CL. We all know that Crespo and Shevchenko worked at Milan as well.

About Chelsea starting to win everything i don't think it will ever happen, at least not in one season. No matter how good our players are Mourinho has said he doesn't want a squad bigger than 23 or 24 meaning we'll almost always miss out on one of the three cup comps.

In the long term i think this will be a good thing for the Premiership but in the next 2 to 3 years maybe not such a good thing as Chelsea will almost certainly win the Premiership. Loserpool and Le Arse are much stronger now and providing Man USA get there midfield sorted all three could run us close if we lose the vital games against them.

I was more confident at the start of last season than i will be at the start of this one, but that just adds the the excitement on the new season.

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    4-1-2-1-2

We used to play that system .... when I was at school .... I was 9 like.

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    DorisInsinuate's Avatar Four Star Cynic
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    Cech
    Gallas-Carvalho/New Signing-Terry-Del Horno/Carlos
    -------------------Mackelele
    ---------------Essien-----Lampard
    --------------------Ballack
    ------------Drogba/Crespo-Shevchenko
    So, the 6-1-2-1-3 formation.

We used to play that system .... when I was at school .... I was 9 like.

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I'm looking forward to the Premiership next season, even if my beloved United missed out on it; Chelsea and Arsenal are the reason.

The Blues should give us plenty of entertainment if they play Crespo (hope they can hold on to him) and Shevchenko together - their movement will tear apart most of the opposition. Drogba has plenty of skill but all too often he's clumsy (reminds me of Sprake... eek!) and should be offloaded IMO.
    Carlos is a signing that I find... erm... interesting. Does Mourhino want to give opposing teams a chance? I think he's gonna find it tough if the opposition concentrate on attacking him.

I think Arsenal needed Henry to re-sign because their midfield aren't quite 'up there' yet, but they're on the way and this season might be one where they get everything right in more away games than not. They certainly impresses in many of the final quarter of last season.

Cisse needs to polish his finishing and unless Kewell has another fine season like the last (and let's face it, one's all he gave us in all those years) I don't think Liverpool will mount a serious challenge.

I'm delighted that the scum are struggling to maintain their phenominal performance over the past 15 years or so.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast