Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humour Taboos

Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    It is often said, or suggested that nowadays everything is available as a source of humour and that nothing is taboo. People can make jokes about anything, so long as it's humour.

Do you agree with this or are there any subjects that you just don't think should be the subject for humorous material, be it jokes, TV, movies or whatever.

Alternatively does it depend on who is saying the thing and in what context. Would one person calling me a fenian bastard be different from another person doing it in a different way. Or are the words offensive in and off themselves.

What think you.

Personally I just hate the word n****r, feck it even makes me uncomfortable doing it like that, however other people think it's OK and say the word regularly. Just a small personal example obviously.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!

i can't say n****r in an offensive way. i call my friends nigger though, as like a sign of affection

farting is not funny though. fact

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    There's little that offends me in humour. I tend to just think that stuff is unfunny.
    "c**t" is definitely a no-no in the presence of women for me, although it's a word that's used often at work, in jest.

I am a fan of silly humour like The Goons, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers and Blazing Saddles but not adolescent crud such as American Pie or Porky's. Adam Sandler just pisses me off - lowest common IMHO.

Satirical stuff, I like too though there's a hazy line that can be crossed here, when it turns personal.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Lounge   -   #4
    davidkinto's Avatar davidkinto
    I think It depends On The Manner It is said In Either Joking Or Serious

5. Lounge   -   #5
    DorisInsinuate's Avatar Four Star Cynic
    I find the BBC's My Family offensive, and I find the idea that they're replaced it with a clone programme but with different actors even more offensive.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    I'm much the same as Chewie, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers & the word C**t is not good, I don't think i've ever been called it

C**t is top of the bad word list...
    The idiosyncratic syntax of riddles interests me

7. Lounge   -   #7
    According to that the word "Jew" is a "bad word", as are "prick", "balls", "God", "bloody" and "slag", all of which are perfectly acceptable words.

That really is a shite list baz, ya fucking motherfucker spastic cunt.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Cyber tourettes Syndrome ... wankers....
    The idiosyncratic syntax of riddles interests me

9. Lounge   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Self depreciating humour is the best , saw a very funny East Indian in a Comedy club . People would n't laff at first till a few of his friends or family laffed so hard they were almost peeing themselves .

Having a white guy do the same routine would of got him booted from the stage .

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Self depreciating humour is the best
    Indeed, I also like unintentional humour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast