Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EU to tax e-mail, text messages?

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    European Union lawmakers are investigating a proposed tax on e-mails and mobile phone text messages as a way to fund the 25-member bloc in the future.

A European Parliament working group is reviewing the idea, tabled by Alain Lamassoure, a prominent French MEP and member of the center-right European People's Party, the assembly's largest group.

Lamassoure, a member of Jacques Chirac's UMP party, is proposing to add a tax of about 1.5 cents on text or SMS messages and a 0.00001 cent levy on every e-mail sent.

Source: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6077464.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Sure, I'll pay a tax on text messages, IF THEY WERE FREE! I pay over $15 a month just to use the service with unlimited messaging, why the hell should people be taxed on top of the money they already pay for it... That's just absurd.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Lamassoure, a member of Jacques Chirac's UMP party, is proposing blablabla
    Never mind. It won't go that far.
    Chirac and his cronies are just trying to give themselves a bit of a countenance, to make people forget the shit they've caused in the country and the scandals they're involved in at the moment.
    Just what they did a coupla years ago with a tax on plane tickets to finance international help to third-world countries.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Filliz's Avatar ______________
    And how the hell are they going to check how much emails you send anyway?

hmm...asspie

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    bigword's Avatar n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Filliz
    i dont think that would be that hard, since ISPs can moniter ur internet activity. but how would even charge ppl for sending emails, since you dont pay to send emails?

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bigword
    Quote Originally Posted by Filliz
    i dont think that would be that hard, since ISPs can moniter ur internet activity. but how would even charge ppl for sending emails, since you dont pay to send emails?

I would say they would start charging ISP's A new Tax for sending e-mails and if this tax is too high I can see a lot of isp's backing out in giving us a e-mail service at and what about hotmail bang goes that too and any other free e-mail service.
    Last edited by totalwar; 05-28-2006 at 01:30 AM.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Work it out.

For every 500 billion emails they get enough tax to pay a single employee. He/she is going to be rather busy, I think.

Doesn't sound like a workable proposition to me.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Well, if they only tax spam messages, they can still make money and reduce the number of pәn!s enlargement emails in my in-box.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    bigword's Avatar n00b
    well they would only be able to tax emails originating in the EU, so the number of spam mail will not likely decrease. And would they tax u for emails received?

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by bigword
    well they would only be able to tax emails originating in the EU, so the number of spam mail will not likely decrease. And would they tax u for emails received?

this canadian took it all seriously

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast