Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The U.S. Military

Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    It occurs to me that the United States spends a whacking great amount of money each year on it's military. Including, but not limited to, research and development. Is it possible (at a subconcious level) that some of the U.S.'s current international deployments may be (partially) as a result of having to justify this massive use of resources?

Or indeed (again subconciously) as a means of "field testing" it's new assets? To ensure that, heaven forfend, she ever has to do battle with someone capable of fighting back.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    Not a bad point realy. Probably no coincidence that those who wanted to rush into Iraq have strong ties to military contractors. Still for all the cash they throw at it the insurgents seem to be able to hold them off. Plus the US doesn't seem to be using any new technology there I think current deployments are just a good way of using up old stock so they can go back to congress and say see I told ya so we need more and more and more... on top of that it gives them a chance to develop and Army of battle hardened soldiers instead a bunch of kids playing games in the woods. Not that I'm trying to bash the individual soldiers big respect for those dying every day right now in fact I hope they stay safe....that goes for the Aussies and Brits and Itialians and Japanese and anyone else sent over there.
    Last edited by sear; 05-27-2006 at 07:42 AM.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by sear
    Not that I'm trying to bash the individual soldiers big respect for those dying every day right now
    I would hate that, dying every day must be pish.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    davidkinto's Avatar davidkinto
    Am a Bothered!!!!!!!

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    Not that I'm trying to bash the individual soldiers big respect for those dying every day right now
    I would hate that, dying every day must be pish.

good point bothers me too
    Last edited by sear; 05-27-2006 at 08:07 AM.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    US military pwns
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

7. Lounge   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Still for all the cash they throw at it the insurgents seem to be able to hold them off. Plus the US doesn't seem to be using any new technology there I think current deployments are just a good way of using up old stock so they can go back to congress and say see I told ya so we need more and more and more... on top of that it gives them a chance to develop and Army of battle hardened soldiers instead a bunch of kids playing games in the woods.
    From another thread:

...it is now unimaginable that we would use anything approaching the full measure of our military power (the nuclear option aside) in the wars we fight. And this seems only reasonable given the relative weakness of our Third World enemies in Vietnam and in the Middle East. But the fact is that we lost in Vietnam, and today, despite our vast power, we are only slogging along--if admirably--in Iraq against a hit-and-run insurgency that cannot stop us even as we seem unable to stop it. Yet no one--including, very likely, the insurgents themselves--believes that America lacks the raw power to defeat this insurgency if it wants to. So clearly it is America that determines the scale of this war. It is America, in fact, that fights so as to make a little room for an insurgency.

You see, it's as much a psychological phenomenon as anything
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Still for all the cash they throw at it the insurgents seem to be able to hold them off. Plus the US doesn't seem to be using any new technology there I think current deployments are just a good way of using up old stock so they can go back to congress and say see I told ya so we need more and more and more... on top of that it gives them a chance to develop and Army of battle hardened soldiers instead a bunch of kids playing games in the woods.
    From another thread:

...it is now unimaginable that we would use anything approaching the full measure of our military power (the nuclear option aside) in the wars we fight. And this seems only reasonable given the relative weakness of our Third World enemies in Vietnam and in the Middle East. But the fact is that we lost in Vietnam, and today, despite our vast power, we are only slogging along--if admirably--in Iraq against a hit-and-run insurgency that cannot stop us even as we seem unable to stop it. Yet no one--including, very likely, the insurgents themselves--believes that America lacks the raw power to defeat this insurgency if it wants to. So clearly it is America that determines the scale of this war. It is America, in fact, that fights so as to make a little room for an insurgency.

Unfortunately it's bunkum. Military might is meaningless when fighting guerillas, insurgents, terrorists. Call them what you will. Unless of course you decide to destroy the whole country, but wait, that won't work either.

Your military strength is indeed impressive and for the big hits it's just the ticket. It's just the end game. No matter how big your military and how many brazillion dollars you wish to spend on it, that matters not one jot when it comes to dealing with the small numbers of your enemy remaining. So long as they have the heart for the fight and there is nothing to indicate that will go away, then they will be there fighting you.

However, as someone alluded to earlier, there's a lot of people who have a vested interest in the conflicts continuing. Who have a vested interest in your people seeing a real and present danger and as such signing the cheques for the military contracts.

We're no better by the way, we just operate on a much smaller scale.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

From another thread:

Unfortunately it's bunkum. Military might is meaningless when fighting guerillas, insurgents, terrorists. Call them what you will. Unless of course you decide to destroy the whole country, but wait, that won't work either.

Your military strength is indeed impressive and for the big hits it's just the ticket. It's just the end game. No matter how big your military and how many brazillion dollars you wish to spend on it, that matters not one jot when it comes to dealing with the small numbers of your enemy remaining. So long as they have the heart for the fight and there is nothing to indicate that will go away, then they will be there fighting you.

True America has a massive ammount of raw military power. but how do you stop someone who is willing to sacrafice thair life just to blow up a few people. Even more to the point the Iraqi insurgents are now more often than not targeting Iraqis cooperating with the new gov or of a different religious backround to spark a civil war. Kind of hard to stop me thinks. The only thing that might be able to help would be more troops which the US gov seems unable / unwilling to send. But that was the problem in the first place. sure Saddam was overthrown fairly easily after years of sanctions but how do ya controll a country on a shoestring, kind of hard. Basicly the US doesn't have the stomach to see more and more troops dying for another 10 years or so, which even the Pentagon admits is an estimate that is not out of the question, to completly stamp out the insurgents. But that could have been part of the plan. It's funny but one of the main probs in Iraq is unemployment but were reconstruction contracts given to local firms that use local rescources. Not realy most of the billions has gone to massive US companies so they can overspend and get ripped off importing the raw materials needed from overseas. On top of that you have a huge industry for private security firms which are making a nice little packet off of the instability. If the Iraqis take controll or coalition forces manage to quell the violence alot of people are going to lose out. The sad thing is realy is that it's too late now America and its allies must finish the job or risk creating another Afghanistan after the withdrawl of the USSR. It's just one big cycle of profit and death with no end in sight which just distracts form the real job. stamping out poverty and injustice so Osama and his fuckwit mates...or closer to home for me JI and Noordin Mohammad Top who loves killing Australians...have no where to hide and someone can put a bullet through their heads

PS don't take me too seriously cuz i'm full shit anyway

10. Lounge   -   #10
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler
    US military pwns
    Yes seems to be , and the Canadia's are a bunch of Tire Biters . You know like that fat broad that wants the big car and will do anything to sit in it .

Sear said it best tho .
    Last edited by peat moss; 05-27-2006 at 10:07 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast