Thread: Linux Redhat 9.0 My Evaluation

Poster
    NOTE: I'll reply to this thread as I learn more...

I install LINUX for a test drive, by a newbie (me).

Okay, there is a lot of talk about LINUX (mainly REDhat), so I had to try it. I have used computers when the only operating system accessible was DOS. Ever since then , I have become MS-WINDOWS dependant. This is my review, I'll (try to) make this short so here it is...

- I used a "test hard drive". Don't want to screw up my existing hard drive and settings, just to try LINUX.

- I got the 3, original LINUX REDhat 9.0 disks.

- Booted my PC with it and began to install. Everything was smooth, except a few questions that I had no idea what was being asked. I just clicked "NEXT".

- Nicely colored graphics during entire setup. I was aked a few questions about using existing partitions, creating and deleting. I went with the CLEAN INSTALL. I let REDhat remove all partitions and create a new one.

-So far, so good.

- It asked me to create a Password. I tried to skip that, but it wouldn't let me continue. I hate passwords on an OS. I just want to turn the computer on, and use it. So I entered a passwword.

-I was surprised, my integrated Gigabyte Motherboard sound card was recognized!

- Wheel mouse, GeForce4 card, monitor, and ethernet card was all detected!

- Somewhere along the line, it asked for to create Username and a Password. I skipped that (for the time being). No problem there.

- Setup started to remind me of Windows98 setup.

- I was asked to create a STARTUP disk, for emergencies. I skipped that. I just wanted to try LINUX. I can always make one of those disks later. Quit wasting my preciuos time.

- Okay, setup completed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Computer reboots and there you have it! That stupid USERNAME and PASSWORD, that I was forced to make during install, except I didn't create a Username. I had no idea what it was. It turns out to be "root', then I entered my password.

- Now, everything almost looks like Windows98! But wierd and different. Sort of like... XP? I dunno, but it was all new to me.

- I am so accustomed to Windows, I was a total clutz trying to figure anything out. I couldn't find drives. Where was drive "C" as in "C:\linux\...." ???? There isn't anything like that. It is all ROOT and sub directories. Like DOS.

- I installed my printer, using a list of generic Lexmark drivers provided in LINUX. My printer worked, but LAME. Lacking features such as ink level, head cleaning, and calibration. Prints well for black text. I was impressed that the "Test Page" printed in rich full color graphics.

- My TV capture card is currently useless.

- My 56k Call-Waiting modem is not detected.

- Hey, there is a CDROM burning program in LINUX REDhat 9.0! I have to try that soon.

I couldn't get ANY multimedia files to work. I tried mp3's, WAV, AVI, MOV, etc... LINUX knew what they were, but said I couldn't run them. Although, I could hear music when I tested the sound card. Maybe I need to create that Username and Password. Log onto LINUX that way, instead of the current Administrator mode.

-This entire operating system appears to be very fast compared to Windows XP. Maybe that is because I haven't junked it up yet. I opened a giant sized 38mb BMP image file (a city map), and I could zoom, move and navigated the entire picture with no problem. Very nice, with anti-aliasing.

- And, I easily got my ethernet card configured to connect to my DSL! That Mozilla browser is very quick to use. I browsed the internet in a snap.

So, there you have it, for today. I got a lot more of LINUX exploring to do. See you in a few days with more of my NEWBIE review.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Please create yourself another user account.
    Using root is a very bad idea unless you want to make changes to your system.

Root is the all power user of the linux world and damage can easily be done to your system as root.

Linux is a true multi user system so you will need a password screen to get it to work.

winmodem support for linux is poor to say the least. that is why your 56k modem is not working.
    http://www.linmodems.org/ Try and find your modem there and see if you can get it working.

http://shrike.freshrpms.net/ you willl find this site has many progrmas for red had 9 that should install pretty easily.(by linux standards anyway)

I would recomend you get Xmms for mp3, ogg support and Xine or mplayer for all your video needs.

keep banging your head against linux untill you understand it. It will teach you alot about your computer.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I really want to install Red Hat 9.0 on a spare hard disk and I would really appreciate it if you could refer me to a good spot to download it (without paying, of course).

I actually don't mind paying the 40 bucks if it is really worth it.

Thanks a lot

Your buddy

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by adamp2p@30 April 2003 - 23:57
    I really want to install Red Hat 9.0 on a spare hard disk and I would really appreciate it if you could refer me to a good spot to download it (without paying, of course).

I actually don't mind paying the 40 bucks if it is really worth it.

Thanks a lot

Your buddy
    Here is the "non-official site". <edited>

GET it legally for free...

http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=7

(LINUX REDhat 9.0)

--------
    It may be well worth the &#036;40.00 donation, compared to Window&#39;s XP at &#036;300.00

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    cd 1
    cd 2
    cd 3

should take no longer then 6 or 7 hours on broadband to download the lot.

linux beginners guide
    Have a read through the first few chapters of that and any other information you can get your hands on that has to do with installing and setting up linux and bootloaders.

Linuxiso is not quite the official site. But it is excellent for mirrors of all the popular distro&#39;s.

I would also think about buying your first version because the manual&#39;s that come with it are pretty nice to have.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Update...

Oaky, here&#39;s the scoop.

I took the hard drive, with LINUX Redhat 9.0, and put it in a completely different computer. Originally, it was in a system with a Pentium4 2.0gHz, on a Gigabyte motherboard and 512mb DDR RAM. Now it is in a homemade system, on a Gateway PII/PIII slot-1 motherboard with a PentiumIII 500mhz CPU with 128mb SDRAM.

During the boot sequence, REDhat discovered that a number of hardware devices were no longer installed. On each device, it gave me the choice of removing it or keeping it (including the LPT1 printer - Lexmark 3200). I removed them all. Then new devices were recognized. All devices were installed correctly (except a few USB and a MIDI joystick).

The BOOT UP procedure completed and LINUX loaded as normal.
    A list of new devices that were recognized and actually work (100%) are as follows:

-SB16 sound card
    -hp Deskjet 500 printer
    -Ethernet Card
    -US robotics 56k Internal modem
    -ATI Radeon 7000 64mb AGPVideo card

The only devices detected that were not working were a Lexmark PPM Photo printer (USB) and an external SoundBlaster CDRW, also USB. But I haven&#39;t tried them yet. Also, I noticed that the joystick (port) was in the non-recognized list. I thought that was automatically part of the sound card.

No problems with the different motherboard. As usual, the system is very stable. Still takes some "gett&#39;n used to". Everyting is fast.

I like the multiple desktops in LINUX REDhat 9.0. I easily clutter the screen with too many programs. Clicking a different desktop is easier to manage.

----------------------------------------------

So far, I am liking this new OS. I hope that manufacturers of hardware and software products begin to support LINUX.

I see that some reputable game developers have been supporting this OS. I have a version of LINUX QUAKEIII that I am anxious to try.

I&#39;ll be back with more information of my review in a few days...

Cheers