Thread: Dvd Players That Can Support Divx

I didnt know this before but there are dvd players that can support divx so no need to encode.

this is a list of dvd players that can support divx in various degrees and with firmware upgrades they get better

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVD...&Submit2=Search

Elta 8882

GoVideo DVP865

H & B DX-6526

Kiss DP-450

Kiss DP-500

LiteON PhoMaster LVD-2001

Neuston Maestro DVX-1201

Palsonic DVD-3000

Revoy 3200DX

Scott DVD 842

Sony DVP-NC655P

Sony Playstation 2

Toshiba SD3900

Xbox

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Caveat emptor: Be very careful before you buy anyone of these; follow the link and read the user comments/reports. Some noobs will claim MPEG-4 support when posting their comments about a particular player but that doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. I looked at the Toshiba SD3900 and checked out Toshiba's website and I can't find any mention of MPEG-4 support of any kind.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    How does Xbox do it then? Does it recognise copied cd's or do you mean copied dvd's. Explain please...?

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Originally posted by bananadude@1 May 2003 - 02:03
    How does Xbox do it then? Does it recognise copied cd's or do you mean copied dvd's. Explain please...?
    It requires a modification that voids your warranty. Not for the faint-hearted.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    ya i dont think they support divx. i hope some do but i want to see someone that has one say it specifically supports divx.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    The only one that i know for a fact that support divx are the KISS one because it is announced on their website.

but i was wondering... what happens when lets say divx6 comes out? what about xvid? Is there someway to update codecs on those dvd players?

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    the kiss player can be updated with newer codecs by updating the firmware but it will not play xvid just now mabaye in they future.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by Someone_Else@30 April 2003 - 22:16
    The only one that i know for a fact that support divx are the KISS one because it is announced on their website.

but i was wondering... what happens when lets say divx6 comes out? what about xvid? Is there someway to update codecs on those dvd players?
    No, there is no way to update the player. In addition, the list above was impressive but not really accurate. This has been covered in some forums on another board. Divx 3,4, and 5 are very different, and some players are more accurate than others are reproducing the data on screen. Some players will only play certain formats, etc. Those drives are nicely priced into the 300-400 dollar range. Nice toy, if you got the cash.
    Proud member of MDS

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    whatever codecs these players support or don't support... you can be pretty sure that they will not officially support divx 3.11, which is what most movies on filesharing networks are at the moment. divx 3.11 is basically hacked microsoft software, and the dvd player companies would get sued for supporting it.

luckily, divx 3.11 is slowly losing its popularity to divx 5 and xvid. so a player like the KISS dvd player would be good for newer, legal mpeg 4 formats.

personally i do think mpeg 4 enabled dvd players are a really great idea, although the price would have to come down quite a bit for it to be a good value imho. right now, it's still a much more affordable option to just use a $50-$100 tv-out video card to connect a pc to your home theater. and you still have greater control over the configuration of a pc, to make sure that it can play the wide variety of internet video formats that are being used (avi, ogm, wmv, mov, etc). these new dvd players are on the right path, but i think it will be a little while before they're worth purchasing.