Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about bitcomet and internet speed...

Heart

Hi, i'm a newbie and I looked but couldn't find a good answer in the search engine! First, I'm blonde so please dont' make fun of me. I just started using Bitcomet and it has slowed my internet speed time down quite a bit. It pretty much completely stops while Bitcomet is running. I have the DL and UL speeds set very low and that didn't help.

Even when I'm disconnected from Bitcomet my speed remains MUCH slower than it was. It's like having a crappy AOL dial-up connection now. I have cable connection. It's a new laptop so i can't imagine what's wrong. What do I do? Anybody have suggestions?

Will removing the Bitcomet program help? I also have UTorrent, but I haven't used that one yet.

Also, If I do remove BitComet, how do I keep all the torrent files I have already DL'ed? Do I just save them to a new file and remove them from the Bitcomet directory??? If I just delete Bitcomet will all the files be lost???

Please, please help a girl out!!!!
    Thanx!!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Bitcomet is not a good program and is banned by a number of sites. I'd recommend uninstalling it, and then running Crap Cleaner (search for free download on Google) to clear out any remaining traces. Use the "Issues " tab on C Cleaner.
    Then check for spyware and viruses and stuff like that.
    Then install and run utorrent, and carry on using that.
    If the files are good, it should be able to use the bitcomet tracker files to carry on seeding/downloading. It did with Azureus ones, anyway, when I switched from that. The actual stuff you've downloaded - movies, music or whatever, won't be affected. I assume you've got a folder that is outside Bitcomet directory labelled "Downloads" with them in? If not, you can create one and just drag them there. Then, the sequence is to unistall Bitcomet, download and run Crap Cleaner, delete the bitcomet directory if it's still there, check for spyware and viruses, then start using utorrent.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Use uTorrent.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by w3stfa11
    Use uTorrent.

Best out there for sure.Takes no resources and has protocol encryption.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I'm thinking my slow internet may have nothing to do with BitComet. I did everything as instructed and the internet is still WAY too slow. Strangely both laptops and and my desktop are all going very slow. I'm hoping the problem is with mediacom and not my digital cable connection. Although all of these problems started with the installation and usage of BitComet.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    I'm thinking my slow internet may have nothing to do with BitComet. I did everything as instructed and the internet is still WAY too slow. Strangely both laptops and and my desktop are all going very slow. I'm hoping the problem is with mediacom and not my digital cable connection. Although all of these problems started with the installation and usage of BitComet.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7

Thanks everyone! If you have any other ideas, let me know!!

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    I recommend using uTorrent or Azureus with encryption turned on. Also make sure if you do use encryption you allow "legacy connections" as well if the other client isn't using encryption, so you can stil accept connections. The settings are under options and easy to find on both clients.

Azureus : Options > Connection > Transport Encryption

Tick all 3 boxes and set encryption level to RC4

uTorrent :

Options > Network > Protocol Encryption

Set "Enabled" and "allow legacy connections"

That will help if it is ISP shaping/prioritising that is causing the slowdowns. Also make sure you change the default port (and forward the port in your router/firewall) as the default is blocked or shaped by many ISPs around the world.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    I found changing the port gave me much more of an increase then adding encryption. I do have encryption on but find 80%+ people I connect to don't use it.
    Last edited by wick77; 06-10-2006 at 03:19 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    Use UTorrent I wouldn't even give Bitcomet a second glance you've had some good advice already so i won't add to that all I can say is read the sitcky's make sure everything is set up properly and you should be sweet. As far as internet speed goes bittorent won't use all your bandwidth so surfing shouldn't be affected. I have UTorrent running 24 hours a day and never notice any difference in speeds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast