Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am i about to recieve a cease and desist?

Poster BT Rep: +3

Question Mark

Hi there guys, whilst d/loading a particular torrent, i noticed that my peerguardian was going crazy with connections from safenet.inc and an american barracks that were being blocked as well as "possible media sentry" attack. Suddenly, i noticed a new list in my blocked lists that said permanent blocks as the description but was allowed!!! Getting further details i found out it was the safenet.inc and barracks ip address as well as Time Warner. I have blocked this list, restarted my machine and connected to the net not d/loading and this list has just re-appeared and allowed itself again, I'm getting slightly worried

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    rguinn's Avatar chemist
    I recommend you put your hard drives in a barrel of acid, change your name, and move out of whatever country you happen to be in. better safe than sorry

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Yes he is right dig a hole in the backyard start a fire and throw you computer in there monitor and all.If not they will get you then you going to jail for sure.Those media sentry guys are mean too.
    Last edited by deuce6000; 06-13-2006 at 01:02 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Really? do you think its that big a deal? I wasn't seeding anything at the time so surely they can only of seen what was being d/loaded? I did consider running eraser on my HDD yesterday but decided I was feeling overly paranoid......

So I closed all ports, banned everything that I felt should be banned within PG2 and deleted all possible sources of the attack (all media that i had d/loaded since the attacks started)

Still, not getting caught would be better than having to trash everything..... I know I am a noob so please don't take advantage of that and tell me that leaving the country is my only option!!- I would like to know the possibilty of recieving a cease and desist.

I'm in the UK by the way and thanks for your help so far
    Last edited by sshaw1982; 06-13-2006 at 09:21 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Ok, real advice (ignore the other two) :

Hell with it. You messed up, sure. But how badly? Not that badly. I mean, you were unprotected by PG for a few minutes, and were not seeding correct? Really, sounds like no big deal.

1. Don't leave the country/kill your computer.
    2. If your really really paranoid, law low for a while.
    3. Usually what happens is your ISP sends you a letter, you don't just get sued in a matter of seconds.
    4. Any of this information could be inaccurate.
    5. Don't let no. 4 worry you.

... really, if some people seed/download shit like crazy, without PG, and nothing happens to them... the odds of anything happening to you are pretty slim.

EDIT: Also, your not in the USA, less to worry about. And assuming you weren't downloading the next big movie of the year, that's also less to worry about. Don't wipe your HDD clean, you'd feel really dumb if you did and nothing bad happened...
    Last edited by Rip The Jacker; 06-13-2006 at 09:48 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Thanks, thats what my initial thought on the matter was but having not seen anything like this before, I was slightly concerned!! I'll keep you posted but thank you for your help!

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip The Jacker
    Ok, real advice (ignore the other two) :

Hell with it. Blah Blah Blah...
    Thanks Jack, for settin' that straight. And Topic starter, I've been having Verestar & SafeNet on my PG2 blocklist for the past month nothin' happen yet...
    Here's this: http://forums.phoenixlabs.org/showthread.php?t=11799 Its just another discussion, but apparently alotta people are getting hits from these people.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Yeah dude i posted that yesterday as a joke i didnt think you would take it seriously .You have nothing to worry about dude.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Thanks alot guys! I think i just needed reassurance.....on with the download!!!

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    the letters don't mean anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast