Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Processor Overheating

Ok i have just built a new pc for 1 of my mates

It has an MSI kt4 turbo motherboard with an Athlon 2400+ (the limit of the board says 2800+)
    Also the case displays the CPU temp and the system Temp.

Iv built it and everything and the first time i turned it on it said it was only 1800+ in the boot sequence so i thought fair enough i gotta sort out the bios, so i sort out the bios and everything and make the FSB of the board up to 266MHz (which is waht the processor runs at) And so now when it boots it says 2400+.

Ok so now im happy and i installed win xp etc etc all drivers and shit and it seems to be ok...

Now when we load up games like ghost recon or use a program that uses a lot of processing power it works for abt 2 - 3mins then the whole system crashes and i notice on the box that the cpu temp is goingup to like 70/80 degrees. Im not sure how to get this temp down without having to turn down the processors speed...

The case has 6fans in it so i dont see how it can overheat so much unless im doing sumthin wrong in the bios!

Any help or views on this wud b greatly appreciated. Thx

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    what cpu cooler do you have?
    ideally you want an all copper heatsink, athlon's can produce quite a bit of heat.
    i've got a 2700 myself, and i had some heat problems when i first got it, i had a thermaltake volcano 9, and the cpu temp (as reported in bios) was around 64-65 degrees.
    now i have an all copper cooler (bought for about £25) and all my problems are basically gone.
    my cpu now runs at around 46 idle and 51 full load
    hope this helps

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    What heatsink/fan do you have on the CPU?
    Did you use thermal transfer paste? (Like Arctic Silver)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Better to use the all copper as mentioned by amphoteric88 along with the thermal paste also mentioned by Somebody1234. Get a heatsink/fan combo the exceeds your cpu speed, should do fine. As for the fans, how do you have those set up, should have the front of case for intake and back of case for exhaust (blow air out).
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Your heatsink may not be making good thermal contact with the cpu core -- which means the cpu can overheat while the heatsink isn't getting crispy-warm. That requires removing the heatsink and reseating it (putting it back on) making sure it's getting good surface contact with the cpu.

Also, make sure no IDE cables are draped over the cpu fan.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    first off, no one bothered to ask if it was celsius or fahrenheit... if those temps are in F... you have no worries, they are perfectly fine... if they are celsius... then ya, they are high... mine run at about 30 C for case, and 45 C for the cpu, according to motherboard monitor... and 85 F for case... and 110 F for cpu...

so what are your readings in?

btw... im running a 2100xp, with a volcano 7

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@1 May 2003 - 14:26
    first off, no one bothered to ask if it was celsius or fahrenheit... if those temps are in F... you have no worries, they are perfectly fine... if they are celsius... then ya, they are high...  mine run at about 30 C for case, and 45 C for the cpu, according to motherboard monitor...  and 85 F for case... and 110 F for cpu...

so what are your readings in?

btw... im running a 2100xp, with a volcano 7
    Betcha it's Celsius, Farenheit as you said would not be an issue and if Farenheit that would direct it to a possible fan/heatsink issue.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    I have seen liquid cooled heatsinks at the computer shows, but they are too expensive. I guess they are like little refrigerators (icebox if you are English).

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    with water cooling, you can get cpu temperatures of down to -15 degrees celsius.
    however, it's a bit of a drastic (and expensive) measure to take.
    basically all you need is a better heatsink and fan with good thermal paste
    p.s. Spindulik: I'm Scottish, and we say refrigirator (or more commonly, fridge)
    i think in the uk, people think that icebox is used by americans. not really a point at all, but who cares

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Ok basically what it is is an Athlon XP 2400+ retail box. So it came with the fan and heatsink and also had a dab of thermal paste sorta looked like a pad but its recommended and put in the boxes so surely it would work?

Also if i wanted to keep the heatsink and fan and not spend any more money could i sort this out through the bios at all? e.g. set different clock speeds of processor, FSB etc?

Coz i dont really wanna pay more money.

Or should i use a different/more thermal paste from a different source? Could that sort it?

Thx 4 ur helps guys its much appreciated

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast