Thread: Cooling Advice Needed

I'm building a new computer, and planning to overclock, but I don't want to cook my computer at the same time . I'm planning on building an computer with an Athlon XP 2800+ Barton Core, an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro, Corsair XMS 512 MB PC3200 (2x), Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard, and I think that's it for overclockables . I may not even overclock, but in the future if I become brave enough maybe I would. I have a Antec Model PLUS1080AMG case, which is roomy (or so I think) so I think I'll have good for for fans and the such.

I was looking at CPU fans, and two stuck in my mind: Cooler Master HHC-001 and the Glacialtech IGLOO 2500 PRO. The Cooler Master HHC-001 looks better, but people were talking about it being too noisy and using to quiet it a 60mm-80mm adapter, is that adapter cheap? Can I buy it off Newegg or in a large electronics store (such as Best Buy or Circuit City or whatnot)? Do I use a 80mm case fan?

Speaking of case fans, which ones are good . I think Thermaltech looked good from what I can remember, varial speed doesn't matter, noise can be kind of loud, but not extremely. I'd like to use 120mm since I heard that they can push the same amount of air at a quiter rate. How many case fans could I get, how big can I go up until? How many in inhaust (is this even the correct name ) fans and how many exhaust fans?

I'd like some good heatsinks for the CPU and videocard memory or the videocard or whatever. Should I replace the fan on the ATI card? I saw fan system to keep the hard drives and the stuff in my bays like the CD-RW and DVD-ROM cool? Should I bother with that area? I heard hard drives get hot. I could also instead just get a hard drive cooler.

Any and all help on this is appreciated. I'm very sorry for this being so long, I just have so many questions, I'm extremely confused! ^_^ ^_^ By the way I also am getting Arctic Silver 3 for attaching heatsinks and other stuff too, it's about the only thing I'm almost sure of. Thanks again for any help.
    "If you can't win, buzz off!" - K' from The King of Fighters 2000

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    That's a good case btw. Go ahead & build it first. See what kinda temps your getting & go from there. There's all kinds of cooling solutions. Read up & keep solicting advice. But ultimately it's your choice & responsibility. I looked up the case. It has room for 5 80mm case fans & comes with 2 rear fans. So unless you mod you can buy 3 80mm. Cheap as I am, if temps were good I'd try taking 1 of the 2 rear fans & using it for a HDD fan. Or just leaving it alone if HDD as well as other temps are good. BTW what did you pay for the case. Please let us know what you decided. Always like to hear peoples results not just their questions.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    To me it sounds like you've got the right ideas.

You haven't mentioned a power supply. You're gonna need a good one. I use an Enermax 300watt power supply. You should probably go higher(400watts+). The Enermax ones will have dual fans so no worries there. A good foundation as your components will need more power as you overclock.

A new fan on your graphics card will be a waste unless you're planning on overclocking it as well. It's an above average upgrade in difficulty due to the ease of damage.

Don't really know much about cooling your memory. Frankly I can't see how it has any advantages. I mean the temp increases will probably be negligible.

This site has info on overclocking and the results of different mobo/processor configurations.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    harrycary, That's the excellent thing about that Antec case. It comes with a 430w Antec PS.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    very nice.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Sorry for being so long on a reply, my mind has been elsewhere as of late . I think I've decided what cooling things should go in: Coolermaster round IDE and floppy cables, Arctic Silver 3, Thermalright SLK-800-U CPU heatsink, Vantec IceBerg copper for motherboard chipset, 6 Panasonic Panaflo 80mm fans (so I'll have a few for back up or if I decide to use anymore), and a Hard Disk / CD/DVD/CDRW Drive Cooler. I'm buying my case from NewEgg so it's $119.99. I am waiting a few months though so the price can drop . I saw a big price drop on my 2800+ Barton Core when the 800 MHz FSB came out from Intel, that was nice. The price now is a little under $1,900, monitor and all. If that would drop by maybe $100 or $200 (I don't know if it ever will) I'd be extremely happy . Anyway, thanks for your replies, advice, and I apologize for the long reply.
    "If you can't win, buzz off!" - K' from The King of Fighters 2000