Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Students Settle W/riaa On Song Swap Sites

Originally posted by clocker@4 May 2003 - 04:35
    I'm wondering if the offer to settle might have come from the prosecuting side.

The RIAA got the media attention that had to be a major goal of this whole affair, and didn't have to risk a protracted and potentially alienating trial.
    Well said again.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@4 May 2003 - 04:14
    Actually, even with today's stiffened bankruptcy laws, they can bankrupt and, in a few years, they can start all over. That is, unless they're "trust-fund babys," who can't afford to lose their interest in trust if they bankrupt.
    declaring yourself works quite well in the uk
    if you declare yourself bankrupt, all debts are cleared, however, you are put on a credit blacklist, so you'll be refused for loans and mortgages and stuff
    i can't remember how long you stay on the list for, it's either 3 or 5 years i think

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    When people attempt to screw someone, they generally prefer a weak target ... and I suspect the RIAA felt that students were weak targets most likely to settle. I also suspect the RIAA will confine their lawsuits to weak targets. Screwing the powerful can be dangerous (grin). I can't remember the name of the film but, years ago, a film production company plagarized the work of a screenplay writer ... assuming they could get away with it. Unfortunately, the writer was not only a lawyer ... he was also, at the time, the Governor of Nevada (snicker). If anyone can remember this case, please fill me in on the particulars.

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Clocker's right about the proffer coming from the prosecution, and OTD's right about the weak target.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123