Thread: New LCD Technology to surpass CRT?!

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    i've been sceptical to purchase and still haven't bought into the lcd era simply becuz of all the bad talk for games when using them. i've never used one for games so i can't comment on the fact that they suck for them. well, maybe all that is about to change?

Source
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Didn't liek, LCDs already surpass CRTs?
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    More bits per colour is a gimmick, your eye can't detect differences in shading at 8-bits per colour (24-bit) so what's the point? Can your graphics card produce that level of output, and if so what sort of speed degradation do you suffer?

Examine the bullet points:

* Darkest black level output of any TFT in the market
    This really is a good factor.
    * Can be used for professional color grading -- previously done using only CRTs
    Only reason it wasn't done before was lack of true black, so same as the first point.
    * Can be used for professional critical picture evaluation -- previously done using only CRTs
    Only reason it wasn't done before was lack of true black, so same as the first point.
    * Allows accurate viewing of intra-field motion on interlaced standards
    Basic HDMI specification.
    * Video displayed at true frame rates for all standards
    * Rugged shock mounted components for field operations
    Gel mountings? Nothing new.

So if you look at this critically, the only thing tha't new is the darkest black level. Admittedly that's pretty impressive, but I can't see the need to repeat the same thing time and time again in different forms. Not that they are alone in doing that though.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    More bits per colour is a gimmick, your eye can't detect differences in shading at 8-bits per colour (24-bit) so what's the point? Can your graphics card produce that level of output, and if so what sort of speed degradation do you suffer?

Examine the bullet points:

* Darkest black level output of any TFT in the market
    This really is a good factor.
    * Can be used for professional color grading -- previously done using only CRTs
    * Can be used for professional critical picture evaluation -- previously done using only CRTs
    * Allows accurate viewing of intra-field motion on interlaced standards
    * Video displayed at true frame rates for all standards
    * Rugged shock mounted components for field operations
    Gel mountings? Nothing new.

So if you look at this critically, the only thing tha't new is the darkest black level. Admittedly that's pretty impressive, but I can't see the need to repeat the same thing time and time again in different forms. Not that they are alone in doing that though.
    Sure there's point, it's to impress those that are less perceptive and knowledge than you, tricking them into buying that LCD
    Biostar XE T5
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    All that CRT's are so much better for gaming talk is old news, even the bottom of the barrel lcd's are nearly as good as CRT's. If your looking to drop a decent amount of cash, I think the best way to go is to get 2 monitors, same size and all. The really important stats to look for are the contrast ratio, and the response time. I wouldn't buy an lcd with a response time greater than .08 ms, but even the .01, 2's and 3's are getting cheaper buy the day. As for the contrast ratio, try to stay above 800:1 I believe. But thats just my 2 cents.

And if you've never fooled around with dual monitors, just find a crappy CRT and play around, it's invaluable.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails
    i've been sceptical to purchase and still haven't bought into the lcd era simply becuz of all the bad talk for games when using them. i've never used one for games so i can't comment on the fact that they suck for them. well, maybe all that is about to change?

Source
    I've been using an LCD for 6 months, have yet to run into a problem (especially FOR gaming).

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    CRTs are for gheys
    Biostar XE T5
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    I am using a 14" crt as we speak!! :] Hehe. Fun!!!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Using a 21" LCD with DVI Input and 8ms Response time. Totally annihilates the 17" CRT I once used. Totally murdered that CRT upon roadside...
    No questions asked, LCD ownz CRT in games. Response times are very fast nowa days and your games will look great.

Best advantage to CRT in my opinion? Color Quality that's out of this world.
    Second best advantage? No glare!