Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO Busted me d/ling Entourage today

tetrakis's Avatar Nucleophile BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6

Angry

I just wanted to give a heads up to all who torrent. HBO just contacted my university saying that I was downloading HBO's Entourage S03E02 (which I was...they're right). Thankfully, I get along great with our IT guy so he thinks he can prevent me from getting in trouble...hopefully. But I just wanted to remind people to be carefull with HBO stuff...they're particularly aggressive with their material. I was using Azureus with SafePeer as well as PeerGuardian running in the background...I figured that would cover me, but apparently HBO has ways of seeing through these features.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Gish's Avatar Seeda from Hell BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14

Unsure

Let me ask you! did you download the torrent off of a private tracker or public.
    And if you did do you have your DHT setting disabled. Because they can connect to your IP if DHT is on.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    ‹^› ‹(•Ώ•)› ‹^› BT Rep: +1
    How do you disable DHT? I can't find the option. :\

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    I think it's tools->options->click + to expand the plugins section->distributed Db-> untick "enable the distributed database"->close azureus (actually close it not minimise to the notification area)

Turn off tools->options->connection->peer sources->decentralised tracking
    You might also need to untick the load at startup box for azbpdht and azbpdht in the list of plugins.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    ‹^› ‹(•Ώ•)› ‹^› BT Rep: +1
    ^ I didn't have azbpdht in my plugins, but when I restarted Azureus it said DHT disabled, so I guess I'm good. Thanks for the help!

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    PG and the like can not protect you in a BT swarm.
    It might be (assuming that they are even on the list of blocked IP's) keeping who-ever from contacting you directly. But your IP is still relayed to them through the peers in the swarm they can contact.

BT is the most unsafe method of filesharing out there.
    In just a few seconds every member of a swarm can be ID.

Once you realize how unsafe it is you either have balls of steel, or just don't care if you still use BT.
    Believe it or not there is much better ways to get stuff out there.

*edit, grammer*
    Last edited by Broken; 06-22-2006 at 05:15 PM.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    "BT is the most unsafe method of filesharing out there.
    In just a few seconds every member of a swarm can be ID."

Yes. Hardly anyone acknowledges this truth.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    jetje's Avatar former star
    Who sais it was HBO???

Probably your IT department detected traffic using other ports, monitored that traffic and uses this trick to stop you .....

That's common behaviour in some companies. My guess that the IT department needs the bandwith for their own p2p

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    tetrakis's Avatar Nucleophile BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    it was definitely HBO that contacted my university....i saw the e-mail they sent to my IT guy's boss. In fact, I got a similar threat from HBO about a year ago but then I was more naive and didn't know about peerguardian/safepeer so I blammed it on that.

To answer your questions: The torrent WAS from a public site...torrentspy I think (either that or mininova). I did have "enable the distributed database" checked...didn't know anything about this DHT stuff. I also just clicked off decentralized tracking from peer sources and the azbpdht plugin was already clicked off for loading at startup.

The craziest thing about the whole deal is that they claimed they caught me at around 2:00 pm yesterday (wednesday). Well, I did download the file they busted me for, but I downloaded sucessfully on monday and finished uploading to 1:1 on tuesday. So, ironically, wednesday I was in the clear!....but i guess my ip was still in the swarm or whatever.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    matt526's Avatar Poster
    I have been busted twice in 4 years both times the torrents came from torrentspy
    this is why I only use private trackers now. torrentspy is very dangerous even with P.G. and the like

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast